1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Paper on Insta-act motor bolts?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JFon101231, Oct 19, 2014.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Doing an R&R of the motor and found that although the bolts are fine, the paper "bushings" that I assume protects them from electrical arcs while passing through the motor are junk. I see part # 22342K is the replacement for the bolts, but doesn't look like (per online pics) that the package includes the paper/cardboard tubes for them and can't seem to find any other listing. Suggestions?
    1) Can I run the motor without them without issues?
    2) If not, where can I get them?

Thanks! Jeff

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Why not go to auto parts store and get a roll of gasket material.

3. jshocik

jshocik Member

Jeff, why not try a regular drinking straw & cut it to the proper length? I think the bolt kit you describe costs about $30.00 for 2 bolts.

4. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Don't think gasket material would work as it would probably be too thick to be on bolt before inserting and no way to wrap it after its in.

Straw never would have thought of... as long as it insulates enough that would be brilliant...

Any other suggestions in the mean time?

5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Heat shrink tube? You don't have to shrink it and it comes in different sizes.

6. jshocik

jshocik Member

I just replaced the motor on my plow & noticed the new bolts have some sort of coating on them, probably an insulator of sort. The heat shrink tubing sounds better than my straw idea, as the tubing is made for electrical use. If it's too big, you can shrink it a bit for a better fit on the bolt. When reassembling, use anti-seize on the bolt threads & the motor base so it won't stick to the pump.

7. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Just following back up on this - just bought a new Fisher motor for another plow, and the bolts had a sleeve of - you guessed it - what looks like heat shrink on them! So going to go for that.

Still makes no sense they sell brand new bolts without something on them...