1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pallets of salt in Rockland County, NY

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mkmick, Oct 18, 2015.

1. mkmick

mkmick Junior Member

Hey, I'm not a plow guy but I cooked up a plan to buy some pallets of bagged rock salt and re-sell bags to my neighbors to earn some cash.

Does anyone have experience buying salt by the pallet in Rockland County, NY?

Thank you.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Plan sounds like......

Well is not a plan or planned out very well, or well.

Do you have a tax ID number?

You ever been to Iowa?

What kind of salt are you looking for?

3. mkmick

mkmick Junior Member

Old dog,

My dad's friend that runs a nursery said his guy would sell it to me for $5 a bag by the pallet. Home depot is selling them for $9 plus tax. My plan is to sell them 3 bags at a time so I only need 16 customers per pallet. I was hoping to find a price low enough to sell them 3 bags/$25.

I was in Iowa this August.

I was told to get rock salt for asphalt and pellets of Calcium Chloride for concrete. People here have asphalt driveways and concrete or brick walkways. The sidewalks are concrete.

Thank you.

4. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Do you have insurance? What if you buy real cheap rock salt and get a (silp and fall) ? All your hard earned profits will be lost. payup

5. mkmick

mkmick Junior Member

No, I don't and won't. If there are no contracts and they pay cash, would it come to that?

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have a forktruck?

A dry place to store two or more pallets?

The three for 25 including delivery?

How many pallets do you think you'll sell?

Is it worth the hassle?

7. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

They sell for $6.xx at Walmart. If your buying a truckload I hope you would get a better price than $5 a bag.