1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pallet weightq

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rfed32, Feb 5, 2008.

1. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

does anyone know around how much a pallet of salt cost in ton...i have a half ton and want to try and figure out how much i can put in there....
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

a pallet usally weighs in at 2450#s. that is 50# X 49 bags of salt, is that what you are asking? my bad. I pay 3.51 a 50# bag. so I pay here in cleveland about 180.00 for a full pallet...
  3. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

GENERALLY there is 50-55 bags on a pallet. Each bag normally weighs 50 pounds. So thats 2,500-2,750 pounds per pallet. When I used to use bagged, I was paying $5.97 a bag and the pallets I got were 50 bags, so that was $298.50 per pallet. The only reason I said some pallets have 55 bags, is when I bought a pallet of enviro-melt it had 55 bags at 50 pounds a bag. Good luck.
  4. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I pay $199 for a pallet......that is $162 per ton.......
  5. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

ok thansk guys...would you be afraid to put a pallet in a half ton pick up??
  6. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

YES!? your truck holds 1500lbs safely, a full pallet of salt is 2,500 lbs, thats over-loading your truck by 1,000 lbs, not including anything else you have like the salter on and any tools.
  8. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I hauled 2 pallets this year for my uncle, I have a half ton with timbrens. I only took it about a mile but it was sagging pretty bad. A half ton can do it but I wouldn't do it alot.
  9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

yeah. I would not do it. if you are transporting it a short distance then you should be okay, but if you are going to go out and plow and salt with a whole pallet in the bed , now that is a bad idea. you will be dragging ass all around town...
  10. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Our pallets hold 30 eighty pound bags. 2400lbs. Broken down per ton is $157.25. Load a half pallet on your half truck.
  11. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Sorry, I meant half ton truck. Must have been a Freudian slip. My bad.