1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pallet of salt vs tailgate

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by IHI, Jan 26, 2010.

1. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Half brother showed up this a.m. telling me I was going to be pizzed, "i dunno what happened dude, i was the 3rd truck in line at Sheepbarn hill (relatively steep hill here in town) and when it was my turn to go, the whole pallet slide back and hit the tailgate, but luckily none of it went on the road, and it just bent the tailgate and it wont latch anymore on the one side"

We just use this truck as a back up plow truck and a spot salter, but he's been a habitual "Mario" in my trucks and has been chewed on more than once about his driving style in my trucks, so i know exactly what happened, he prolly gunned it when it was his turn to go and naturally the whole pallet slide backwards. We've used the truck for 3yrs and i've always kept a pallet of salt in the back and never had a problem, but guess i've been lucky. :mad: Gotta love employee's

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Good thing the 4th truck in line wasn't a DOT inspector ,I'd bet he would of loved to talk to you about an unsecured load on your truck!
  3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Stupid does as he's taught!
  4. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

I know what your getting at and understand;) truely i do, so i'm just thankful of all the tens of thousands of loads of lumber, plywood, tools, uncovered dirt/rock we just lay down in the truck bed did'nt warrant a ticket either:)
  5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Be thank full it didn't't slide the other way, been there doen that. Because when it goes the other way its going to try damn hard to get into the cab with you. I pushed the front of my box, back of the cab, shattered the rear window out of my '99 Chevy. I heard it coming and there was nothing to do about it. Damn woman slammed on her brakes hard in front of me for no reason, but it was my fault in more than one way, i know. What i did was learn from this mistake. Either tie down the skid or unload a layer off the top and wedge the bags around the skid so it does't move.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  6. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

dlcs- I always have them push the skid against the front of the box when they load it since panic stops are more likely than rabbit starts....at least iin a normal world with a work truck i guess:dizzy: and "typically" i have the turkey wings in the bed of the truck and they create a steel stop between the bottom of the pallet and the tailgate, but we took the plow off this truck last month and I just took it all for granted since i've never had a problem, but it should've been strapped in and I should've been thinking like an employee...brain dead where if it can happen, it will happen, so most is on me since i have'nt made it second nature to strap the palllets in, but he's partly to blame since i've driven that hill many times over the years with full and almsot empty skids with zero issues, but i dont drive like i'm in a race against time everytime it's time to pull away from an intersection either.....Before the truck goes back out, it'll get strapped.
  7. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I see your in Iowa...Maybe Cretebaby can take him off your hands..He is always on the lookout for Good Employees....:dizzy:
  8. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

I would'nt wish him on anybody, if it was'nt for the "family" thing, i'da got rid of him with a good azzzwhoopin yrs ago, but with things tightening up in the construction trades, he may be hitting the road soon enough anyhow, he's been dead weight and a financial burden on my company for years, but i just ate the cost so as not to rock the boat with the family thing.....but with financial constraints and the feed my family or babysit him, i'm going to chose my immediate family first...I've carried him for far too long already.:realmad: