1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pallet of Salt from the Home Depot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by derekbroerse, Dec 29, 2004.

1. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Yesterday morning I purchased a pallet of 40kg bags of salt from Home Depot. It was a full, sealed (in shrinkwrap still) pallet. Or so I thought.

All I can guess is someone must have taken an knife to the wrapping to see what was in it or something, because the second corner I took the whole thing came apart... about a dozen 40kg bags on the road, and another dozen completely and totally destroying my broadcast spreader (no more hopper).

I specifically went to them and bought a sealed pallet because I was tired of hand-bombing all the bags. I ended up hand-bombing a dozen of them, half split open, from asphalt to truck in the middle of a very busy intersection (and do you think one single person stopped to give me a hand? Not a chance).

I am pretty pissed about this, but I doubt I can complain to them because they sell 'by the bag' so pallet sales aren't what they specialize in. Maybe I'm a dumbazz, I thought the shrink wrapping was strong enough for delivery in a semi trailer, why would it be any different in the back of my truck? Should I have tarped it and put a ratchet strap on it or something? The worst part is the spreader, I didn't own it (been trying to buy a decent one but everyone is out of stock, so I borrowed one). Now not only do I have to buy one for myself, I have to buy him a new one! The bag-wrestling was just an uncomfortable inconvenience.

I just needed to rant a little. I have to go back to return the empty pallet for my deposit, do you think I should even mention it to them, or will I just make myself look like a dumbasz?

Blehhhh......

2. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Thats what I put in the back of my trucks and I never had a problem with bags falling off or anything like that.

3. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Could have been torn from shipping or whatever. Shrink wrap is not very strong in each layer and is easily ripped. Once a small tear has started, it has virtually no strength left in that layer. I've had this happen with a pallet of blasting media (Black Beauty in paper bags!) When the bags fell off the truck they just exploded on contact. Fortunately I only lost a few top bags. From then on I alway use a series of straps to keep the top bags firmly in place.

I doubt HD will help you with anything. Once its loaded, they've washed their hands of any responsiblity. But it may be worth your time to bring it up to a manager and see if they will give you a discount or complimentry gift card for being a good customer.

4. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

1st off... that suxs!! sorry it happened...

2nd... YES you should tell em!! go in there with the right frame of mind and explain in FULL detail what you do for a living, what you spend there, and how it happened... may not get ya much (certainly not a new spreader) but it may get you a few bags to replace the busted ones...

find a nice :drinkup: tonight...

5. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Ask to speak to the store manager and explain your situation to him. Be sure to show him your sales receipt and do it as soon as possible so that weeks don't go by. Ask him to give you a 10% discount on your next purchase because of the amount salt you lost in the mishap. Be nice and explain that you know that accidents happen. If he doesn't give you the discount on your next purchase, ask him for the "Benny Hill" telephone number. That will surely strike fear into his eyes and get you your discount. :nod:

The "Benny Hill" phone number is a special trick only known to us experienced snow plow guys. It can get you out of almost anything at any Home Depot. If any body out there wants to know more, start a Benny Hill post and I will let you all in on it... :rolleyes:

6. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I never buy from Home Dump this is typical for them. They are expensive too. If you can get them to load you with a fork lift you be lucky to get out of there in 2 hours. The last time I bought from them I was buying 20 sections of fencing. the gave me some big song and dance how they can't use their fork lift without shutting down part of the store. then gave me bunch of Sh!t when I wanted them to load it in my truck. Fuc# HOME DEPOT

7. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Id be interested to know what the "Benny Hill" phone # is all about, could you tell us in this thread?

8. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I hate to say it but once you leave the load is your responsibility. I have had that happen to me also. Luckily it was in the back of my dump and the sides caught all the bags that fell. It doesn't take much to tip a pallet over in a truck. Esp a full pallet. Also remember that when they are shipped by truck they are either in trailer packed tight or on a flat bed strapped down. I think its your loss unfortunately. Shrink wrap wouldn't hold shiznit.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  9. salopez

salopez Senior Member

did home depot have you sign a form relieving them of liabity? if not they have to pay. its their fault. i know this because i used to work for crappy depot, and have seen it happen. talk to the store manager, if you are not saticefied talk to the district manager, if that is not good talk the regional. keep making them call their bosses. it easier to pay you and make it go away then get in trouble by thier bosses for them calling with a problem. hell make them call anita if you have to.
    sl

10. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Once loaded, it falls in your lap.

Buy a set of rachet tie downs, about $15 for a medium duty set and loop them through the pallet. 3 is optimal.

11. salopez

salopez Senior Member

not at home depot. not if depot loaded it. they are resposible for it not falling apart, unless they have you sign for it.

12. hesko1

hesko1 Member

Eat your responsibilty

You are lucky you did not get a ticket for an unsafe load! ALWAYS TIE DOWN ANY LOAD!!!!!!!

13. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

I would be kicking some Tony stewart ass. just kidding. I went through the same thing last year. Now I have them pull up with the forklift and we throw them on. 2 reasons 1 you can see if any are damaged( if so they take care of it right there) 2 you have the weight evenly distributed.

14. derekbroerse

hesko1 and pbeering, let me clarify one thing is that the pallet didn't fall out, so strapping wouldn't have helped. The shrink wrap fell apart and the top of the pile came off the load! I do have and use ratchet straps, but the only thing that MAY have helped would have been straps over the whole pile, but you cant really tie down individual bags (hence why the factory shrinkwraps it, to hold it together).

The truck is a dump, but the forklift operator put the pallet on the left rear corner rather than centered... I was going to say something but it was pretty busy so I didn't bother. And yes I waited about 1/2 hour for them to load me too.

Normally I would have no problem taking total responsibility for my load, but this stuff shouldn't have moved. If it had been delivered on a flatbed truck or trailer (not enclosed) it would spill on them too, so I am sure it is meant to be strong enough for shipping.

ps I didn't get the 'benny hill phone #' thing either...???

15. osbo68

osbo68 Member

I drove semi for 5 yrs. whenever I hauled salt or a similar product it was normally tarped on the trailer. The tarp keeps it dry and also holds it in place. The shrink wrap is basically there to hold the material on the pallets during warehousing, loading , and unloading. It may hold for you also, But why chance it. You could talk to the store but I really doubt you have any thing to go on. Well happy salting :salute:

16. derekbroerse

Well since that happened my new plan was to wrap a tarp over it and strap it down, not taking any chances.... whether it needs it or not.

The shrink wrap from the pallet was brutally strong (when you try to rip it by hand etc.) so thats why I figured it was probably cut or something...

17. osbo68

osbo68 Member

Make some "V-boards". Use 2 2x4's cut in half lengthwise. You have 4 4' sections now. Get some 2" webbing and cut 4 16" lengths. Nail or screw 2 pieces of webbing to two of the boards. Now you can put one "v-board " on each side of the pallet. 2 of the 2x4's will be on top with the other 2 hanging of on the same side. When you strap down your pallet the strap will not only pull down on the top boards but also in on the side boards. Thus a sandwich effect on the whole pallet. All with one strap. This normally works pretty well. Good Luck
    :gunsfiring:

18. osbo68

osbo68 Member

Some of the pallaets do have an actual shrink wrap and it is pretty tough. But alot will just use industrtial saran wrap. I hated the stuff. Sometimes it wouldn't budge. but if it does you have a mess :)

19. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Hey, I feel your pain. We are a Magic Salt Distributor and always check to make sure the plastic is tight and intact before we load.

That said I stand by my advice, echoed above, to always tie a strap or two over the top of the load.

20. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry to hear about the mishap :cry:
    Whats done is done, unless you lost alot of money, I would not waste my time going after HD. It must have had a tear before hand but what can ya do it should not have happened. :waving: