1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Painting

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by snowguy1550, Sep 22, 2005.

?

Should I buy a new plow or paint my old 1

Poll closed Oct 1, 2005.
  1. Buy A new one

11.1%
  2. Paint

88.9%
  1. snowguy1550

snowguy1550 Junior Member

I have a western plow about 10 years old. I want to paint it should i prime it or what should i do. Do you think I should just buy a new plow? :help:

2. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

Paint it and it will make you more money over the winter then if you went out and bought a new plow for around $4000. Painting your ahead of the game and not starting the year out 4k in the hole providing that everything else is working well on the plow

3. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

If you paint it it will snow before the paint is dry but if you buy new it won't snow till late this winter.

4. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

pre paint

I paint my plows all the time here is one before paint

rust1.jpg

5. fernalddude

After paint

after paint and some work

rear 1.jpg

6. fernalddude

front

Just a little work and new Teflon liner and its new again and plus Teflon washers under all moving parts for smooth movement .... payup :waving:

paint front1.jpg

7. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

Yea, maybe 20 bucks at most for a qt of meyers sno flo paint. Then alot of elbow grease. I use the Meyer paint only on the front of the blade then usually the Rustoleum Cat yellow on the back. The snow rolls off alot better. I also smoothed out al the rust with bondo. Took me a week of sanding for an hour or two each night to get the blade nice and smooth, down to about a paper thin layer of bondo, just coverin the rust dimples. Works alot better than jsut coating it with paint.

8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Nice looking job. No go sign it in one of the upper corners. Piece of art.

9. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

paint plow?

come on , man. $30.00 for some paint, and a little time or $4,000 for a new plow. use your head!!!!!

10. KSlandscaper

KSlandscaper Member
    from Kansas

furnalldude - did you competely strip the old paint off or give it a good sanding and paint over the old? If you used primer, what primer do you recommend?