1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Painting??

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by GMCHD plower, Apr 20, 2010.

1. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys just wondering do you paint your fishers? Or do you have to powder coat them? Reason I'm asking is my uncles 7'6" MM1 is ruff... I'm thinking I can pressure wash the hell out of it and maybe paint it... Also I've seen a bunch of patriot addition fishers around and if I have the money I'm buying a plow for our 09 HD this summer and I don't want a patriots addition.... BUT the patriots additions I've seen are cheaper... So paint or spend more and powder coat? If I do it right will painting hold up as long as powder coat? Thanks David

2. T&M SnowMan

T&M SnowMan Senior Member

Biggest thing with a plow is to keep up with it...you let it go to $h!t then it will be harder to prep and paint and have it last...its a judgement call...a lot of pitting, just do some sanding, prime, paint and touch up on it every year, mine is in good shape, yet I still touch it up so it looks new and lasts me a long time...wouldn't buy unless its necessary...just IMO

3. John Rambo

John Rambo Junior Member

I had mine sandblasted for about 200. and it was well worth it. Then I put 4 coats of rustoleum industrial primer on it, then 4 coats of rustoleum sunburst yellow. Looks brand new and it held up pretty well his winter, and I plow gravel drives.

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I was quoted $260 to sandblast and epoxy an 8' Minute Mount 1 from a place in Lewiston Maine. From what I've read, this place does the overflow work for Fisher. I'm bringing mine down in about a week or so and its ROUGH (lots of surface rust but all solid metal).

He also said he'll break it all down and put it back together for that price.

5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Who does this in Lewiston?

6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Here you are:

Northeast Painting & Coating
    (207) 784-9273
    145 River Rd, Lewiston, ME

7. mikez044

mikez044 Junior Member
    from PA

just paint my 7'6 fisher mm1 with the rustoleum sunburst yellow gloss
    4 coats of primer
    3 coats of color
    came out great...i have a few holes towards the top which i will probably get welded next season

truck.jpg

8. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Rustoleum is the way to go And ive never had to do one twice yet Maybe some day I will but I always brush on several coats nice and thick. It wont fall off like the original. And it wont wear of like guys that spray it on.

9. 2cox

2cox Junior Member
    from maine

I had a gallon of john deere yellow kicking around the shop, sanded it all down and used a roller came out great

10. JLsDmax

JLsDmax Senior Member

i recently painted my mm2 8ft. i sanded, pressurewashed, sanded, 2 coats of rustoleum primer, one coat JD yellow, then rolled on two coats of rustoleum yellow. I am adding a gloss clearcoat to protect the surface and to make it a little smoother and to protect the new fisher sticker i added to make it look like new.The reason for the one coat of JD yellow is that i did not like the color after i painted the initial coat and i didnt feel like a spray coat would hold up..looks almost new. I also truckbed coated the bottom of the plow where the rust was heavier than the rest of the blade. plus a new chain, thing looks brand new all for $ 75 and some time

11. 2cox

2cox Junior Member
    from maine

ya I liked the JD yellow nice thick paint and its got a good shine to it plus the fisher sticker its just like brand new