1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Painting your plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by rb8484, Sep 15, 2009.

1. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Hey guys!
    I want to paint my western plow before winter hits. I am going to find someone to sand blast it for me and I will paint it myself. My question is, what paint do you guys use? Westerns brand paint? automotive paint? Equipment paint? I have heard of people powdercoating also........I dont have experiance with that.......what is it?
    Any advice would be great!
    Thanks in advance

2. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

A quick search on here will get you all the info you need, but I think the consensus is Rustoleum Sunrise or sunburst (sun-something) red. It matches and actually holds up pretty well for me.

3. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Sunrise red it is!! Do any of you put a clear coat on after painting it and replacing the decals??
    Also, should I strip off as much of the paint as I can, and then have it sandblasted??

4. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Well i have tore down my plow, bought the paint and primer. I have stripped all the paint off the front of the mold board, getting ready to start on the back of it. I try to spend a little time on it every day. I have been taking photos of the process and will post some soon!

5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

There was a guy on here that painted his Western not long ago. He replaced the stickers and everything. See if you can find the thread, he showed step by step...it came out great.

6. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Yeah, I came across it. I have already ordered new stickers for it, but they are just the stickers for the moldboard. I am having trouble finding the rest of the stickers that go on the light tower.

7. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Here are a few pictures.....the last one is as far as I am now, well all the paint is off the face of the mold board now.......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

dont waste your time sandblasting/wire wheeling/ grinding that paint off. Buy some paint stripper and in 30 mins you can have all that paint off and with one hand.

9. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

That is what I am doing!! I am using paint stripper and scraping it right off. I am using the wire wheel where it is not flat for the scrapper. Its working great. Im just taking my time and going to do it right!!!

10. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Nice. I saw the wire wheel there and thought you were doing it that way.

11. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

What kind of paint striper ar u useing

12. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

LOL......wow, I couldnt imagine using a wire wheel on the whole thing!!! I just use it on areas the flat scrapper wont scrap. Gonna start of the back of the mold board today.

13. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

I am using Zinsser power stirpper. Works great. I used some other brand and it didnt work near as good.

14. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

15. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Looks good, keep us posted as the progress continues !

16. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

I deffanitly will. I have the mold board almost ready for primer. Will post more pictures soon!

17. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Well, Here are a few more photos. I have the mold board ready for primer now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

This is the stripper that I used............

[​IMG]

I used this stuff and sprayed on any areas that previously had rust......

[​IMG]

After I sprayed the rust reformer........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Looking good !!!

20. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Well, I have 2 coats of primer on the back of the mold board. I emailed Western, and asked them if I could get a set of decals for the plow, and they are mailing me a free set of them!! Found some on ebay for $25, but they didnt include the "ultramount" sticker that is on the light tower. I thought that was mighty white of them!!!