1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Painting with rustolium

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Diesel_brad, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Diesel_brad

Diesel_brad Senior Member

Today I am going to sandblast and paint my friends Ultra-mount. I am going to use Rustolium primer and paint. My question to those of you that have used Rustolium. DId you add and hardener? Is it even compatible with the oil based Rustolium?

And which Red is the correct red? Sunrise , Regal or Carnival?

Another question. For those of you that have gotten new stickers from Western for free ,did you contact a dealer or western directly?

2. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

You do not have to add hardener to the paint. The correct color is sunrise red. To get the western stickers for free you have to call up western directly.

Good Luck :mechanic:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  3. Diesel_brad

Really? I just found the left over paint I used on my Blade and it is Regal red and it was a perfect match

4. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

All of those paints are really close you can use any of them.

5. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Ive used and not used a hardener for the paint. Ive found to not use it worked better, went on smoother and was not has runny went rolling or brushing. If you are spraying it then use the hardener.

6. Diesel_brad

I am spraying so I will use it

7. Andrew010

Andrew010 Senior Member

My dealer has given me multiple stickers for free. I just asked one time I was down there and got everything I wanted. Completely free as well.

Maybe my dealer is just really nice, not sure.

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Hardener makes it lay waaay flatter and factory appearing. Don't use too much or it will take forever to dry. Regal is a bit dark and sunrise is a bit bright. Saftey is in the middle of the 2 and what I use. Regal looks similar but it darkens as it drys. It looks maroon next to Western powdercoat. I've painted probably 100 Westerns and I like safety red the best. Aside from powdercoat that is.

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

And Andrew, your dealer is nice. But now Western started getting greedy and charging for stickers so most pass the buck. I used to get them for free, now its part #s and a charge on every ticket just like parts. No biggie tough, you can do a whole plow for under $20. Well worth it imo

10. Diesel_brad

Hardner flattens the shine?:confused: I guess it doesnt work well with oil based paint.

As for Safety red, rustoleum doesnt even show that color. Just regal, sunshine, and carnival

11. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

The home depot sells rustoleum safety red by the gallon.

12. Diesel_brad

I refuse to shop that that store. But thanks anyway.

Rustolium doesnt even show it on their site. Wonder if it is just a Home CHEAPO thing

13. Diesel_brad

I refuse to shop that that store. But thanks anyway.

14. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

How about Lowes.

15. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Its available in gallons all over.....HD, Menards, etc. And no you took it wrong, in oil based paint, hardner flattens the texture. It dries flat as can be. The texture, not the luster. Its still shiny, if not more shiny. You can brush it on, and with hardener, you can watch the brush strokes go away.

16. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I liked how the Sunrise looks a shade lighter, so I went with it a few years ago.

17. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Have any of you guys ever tried Endura? The best option (for longevity) is powder coat but that is expensive. We paint our gravel truck boxes with Endura so naturally we also use it for plow refinishing and it seems to last better than original factory paint. Any opinions?

18. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Is their a certain color of Endura that you use on your equipment. I for one would like to have better than original factory paint on my equipment.

19. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sorry I can't say a colour code as my cans are just hand labelled "Western Red." I expect our parts person took a sample to the paint supplier and they did their computer color match thing on it. They have a scanner that analyses the sample and then offers a match. I can't tell the difference but of course when you look at a brand new shiny paint job it always looks awsome.

20. Diesel_brad

I just got done sandblasting and painting another plow today. This plow was an older pro-plow and it only had paint, no powdercoatThumbs Up. It only took an hour and a half to sandblast using 150lbs of sand the blade and the A frame w various pieces.. I just brushed this one. Used a foam roller to do the face of the blade. it turned out pretty good

The powder coat blade i did lsst week took over 600lbs of material and 4 hours. And it was far more pitted than the OLDER painted one. I think the powder coat is a bad thing. When you get a scratch or chip, it allows moisture and dirt in behind the powder coat and the rust begins. At least with paint the paint will fake off and not hold dirt, SALT and moisture