1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Painting western plow - western paint or rustoleum?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JB800, Feb 15, 2013.

1. JB800

JB800 Junior Member

I have a 7 1/2 unimount that is starting to get very bad. As soon as the season ends I plan on painting it. From what I searched, I plan to use paint stripper, then rustoleum rust reformer, then rusty metal primer, then paint it. Any suggestions? Should I use the western paint or rustoleum sunrise red? Thnx

2. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

I've had good luck repainting my plow with rustoleum,but it's whichever you like. Some guys will say stay with the western paint, because they think it's sacriligous or something to use anything else. ( I work with a guy like that, drives me nuts). In my opinion, which is less expensive ? Thats the one for me.

3. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Whatever you do shoot 2 coats, use a hardner, and allow pleanty time to dry before you use the plow. I also vote rustoleum paint. No need to spend extra money on "Western Paint"

4. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

I second what Bossman said.

5. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

I like to paint on a hot day , blast the plow assy with a high powered pressure washer. Let it dry for a day and found success with any type of rust paint, however I will add reducer and hardener for a tough finish.