1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Painting snow plow - spray it or roll it ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JB800, Aug 30, 2013.

1. JB800

JB800 Junior Member

I just sanded and primed my western plow. I need to paint it and was told to use rustoleum sunrise red. Should I use a spray gun or roller?
  2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Spray it. You won't be able to roll the corners
  3. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

Spray gun. A cheap one from hf works great.
  4. NickT

NickT Senior Member

If u have a sprayer it would be easier, but a roller and brush works fine
  5. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

sprayer better if you got one
  6. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

I sprayed my equipment every year after sand blasting spot rust and hand sanding. Did that for years at the end of each season they started to show signs of rust so the fall clean up was more work. Every year I break down each plow and spreader checking for cracks or bad welds five years ago i started to roll on paint. Good heavy coats of paint on a hot day and sit for a few days works so much better for me now fall clean up is so much easier. Good old rustoleum safety alert yellow and gloss black with a splash of thinner brush the tight edges and 4 inch throw away roller done in no time and dont have any over spray or have to clean guns. Also tiger paw sanding disc on a small grinder are the fastest way to remove the old paint or rust.
  7. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Have to agree. Used to spray it. Now I roll/brush it. IF the steel is properly prepped it will stick much better and you will alwasy be able to get it thicker.
  8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

reg plow paint is thicker I think its worth the 10 bucks...I used myers snow flow yellow on mine and it still looks good