1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Painting sanders

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LI Brian, Oct 10, 2001.

1. LI Brian

LI Brian Guest

Started to refurbish my old flink 3 yard sander. I took the motor off and having that rebuilt and I am in the process of sanding and stripping the old paint. My question is what would you guys recommend that I paint the outside of the sander I want it to look good, but I also want it to hold up. I paint the insides with rustoleum every year but don't know what to use on the outside.
    Yankees take it in five
  2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Painting outside is fine, if the temperature and weather conditions are correct.

I would use some snowplow paint for the outside.

If you want a good finish, you can try an epoxy based paint, for the inside and outside. I used that on a dump body, and believe me it worked well.

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Epoxy based paint is good stuff.

One of our customers that I do a fair bit of welding for when required always makes sure their machinery gets sandblasted and painted with the epoxy based stuff anytime it's in the shop for major work. More $ up front, but it holds up well.

I know that aggregate equipment (crushers, screens, conveyors etc) isn't the same as a sander, but it's still used in a "severe service" environment.
  4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I got a lot of hassle last I wrote this, but we repainted with John Deere buff primer, and it has lasted 3 seasons so far with no problems.
  5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Good point Dino - I suspect that buff primer is a lot fewer $$$ than epoxy paint, and still looks quite presentable.

Depends on how fancy one wishes to go. Don't have a sander, but for my plow I just use good 'ol "rust paint", basic black dip job with red for the face of the moldboard and highlights on the ribs.
  6. LI Brian

LI Brian Guest

Hey Dino,
    How much for that buffer paint, where can I get it and what is it?
  7. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Brian - I think Dino is "offline" right now, what he was referring to is yellow John Deere primer - kind of a "buff" colour:

Looks like a trip to the JD dealer might be in order! :cool:
  8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Exactly right Rob, and I think it runs about 30.00 a gal, plus the reducer.
  9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I sandblast my plows and sanders and then prime with expoxy primer. The color coat whatever you want and looks good with your truck
  10. snowdrifter

snowdrifter Guest

i'd look into getting the outside sprayed like they do with the spray on bedliners.i'm getting my tailgate spreader frame done next week.i've allready got my back rack done and looks amazing, hasn't worn off even sliding lumber and ladders over it. as for the inside the other guys seem to have some good ideas. all depends on cost of sprayed or paint.i get a bit of a deal since i have given the company alot of business. i think the sprayed liner is worth the money,but thats just because i hate to see rust, and hate blasting and painting them every 3 or 4 years.just my 2cents worth
  11. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

If you guys are looking to buy paint,call Bob at Magnet Paint 631-842-7700

They have all kinds of paint.We just painted our pug mill with 10 gallons of yellow primer and 10 gallons of new Cat yellow,I think the total cost of everything was less than $300 yes $300.It looks awesome.
    We used our Graco airless striping machine that has 50 ft. of hose and 5 gallon capacity.

Good Luck
    Mike Nelson
    Environmental Surface Treatments,Inc.
    Regional distributor of Ice Ban Products
    Sima Member

P.S for the inside we sell Koate a rust corrosion shield in five gallon pails and 55 gallon drums.You may call for pricing.