1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Painting push plates

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by eastcoastjava, Feb 26, 2014.

1. eastcoastjava

eastcoastjava Senior Member
    from Boston

Buying a set of plates for my truck on the cheap. A few areas are rusted, and I plan to repaint them. Should I pay to get them sandblasted and then paint them with rustoleum rattle can. Or should I wire brush those areas, and put rustoleum rusty metal primer over the whole plate and then rattle can black. I also have a quart of POR 15 laying around

Also will sandblasting screw anything up, I.E. mess the diameter of the holes up.

2. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Senior Member

Sandblasting won't hurt anything.

It's up to you. It will clean every bit of rust off. I have several blast cabinets with various media and any suspension bits I work on almost always get blasted.

POR sure.

3. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

If you want them to look perfect get them sandblasted, if not, a wire brush, sand paper and a little elbow grease will get them looking great. If it was me, I would just sand and wire brush them. Your not really gonna see them anyway so why waste the money on the sandblasting.

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I would just get a wire wheel on a grinder and wire wheel the whole thing and then paint them with POR 15.

5. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

6. eastcoastjava

from Boston

Here's what they look like right now

image.jpg

7. eastcoastjava

from Boston

Sorry don't know why the pic is upside down but there's one of the plates

8. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Oh please those plates are fine..if you saw the plates on my 99 you'd all have heart attacks.

9. eastcoastjava

from Boston

Just want to make them look nice and new, thinking I'm just going to sand them, wash with some mineral spirits, then rustoleum rusty primer, black rustoleum and a clear coat

Should I do the whole push plate in rusty primer or just the rust areas, I don't want these things to look like total crap

10. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

forget the rustoleum...like others said, POR 15 all the way!

11. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

blast them primer then paint.

12. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Just remember to please wear eye protection if you use a wire wheel. Picking a piece of wire out of your eyeball is no fun. Por 15 the stuff is great but there are a few things to remember. Wear gloves if it gets on your skin it will have to wear off. Prep is key for this stuff, any grease or oil and the stuff will just sheet off.