1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

painting plow

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by bradman0087, Oct 20, 2008.

1. bradman0087

bradman0087 Member

what kind of paint should i use on my rusted snow plow?

2. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Do a search. There are a lot of posts already on this subject.
    T.J.

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Get some John Deere paint it's expensive but it's realy good paint and it don't peel off and it dries very quik.

4. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Rustoleum primer and paint. The key to any paint is the prep work, and the prep work it the part that sucks. Ill throw some pics of my rebuild project(s) up when they're done, hopefully this friday.

5. pby98

pby98 Member

sand it down good. i painted my plow without primer with rustoleum. and it scratched. so i took a saturday afternoon and sanded it down really good primed it and painted it again with rust oleum. it has held up good now.

6. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

depends on your experience level, i sandblast my plows to bare metal, than use automotive primer and enamel paint.
    sand blasting at a shop usually can be done for around $400.00
    paint supplies ( primer lacquer thinner, enamel paint, reducer and hardener) araound $200.00