1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

painting plow

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by chevyzrule810, Dec 12, 2010.

1. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm in the process of getting my plow ready for paint.I have a plow with storm guard paint and I was told in order to paint it correctly I needed to use the powder coat paint.Is that correct?

2. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I used brush on tractor paint. Cheap and easy.

The way I see it, it's a snow plow not a Lexus.

3. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

The storm gaurd is powder coated so to reproduce a factory job you would have to powder coat, but you don't have to powder coat it "in order to paint it correctly". Regular paint/primer works everyday on steel, quite well, including plows. My method of choice for the blade is 4" foam roller, it's a lot cheaper to buy by the quart or gallon than rattle can and the results are much better on large flat areas (for me).

4. go plow

go plow Senior Member

i use tractor implement paint and i add a hardener to it, you can get val spar at tractor supply works good and has held up well under extreme plowing, ive even painted the plows the day before a storm and it held up great! one thing you can do, i have found that if you use a small roller, i think 4 to 6 inch ones you can paint the plow in 20min and it smooths out nice...if you have a fisher caution yellow matches and looks nice, its just a little more on the orange/darker side...

5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

ok I will try that thanks for all the help

6. South Seneca

We brush painted mine in the shop when the weather was crappy. Then we blew the propane fired salamander heater on it to dry the paint quicker. We brushed on, and dried, all three coats on in one day.

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

If you check out my restoration thread of my Minute Mount 1 you'll see the results of a nice sand blasting and repainting with SEM products. Its just like Por15 where it bonds to the metal and does some fancy chemical reactions to make it hard like a powdercoat. Mine was also sprayed on and a clear coat with hardener was used then baked in a paint booth.

I've plow once and most of it was dirt because the ground wasn't frozen yet (1" trigger) and the plow didn't get 1 scratch on it. I'm very impressed.

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I also used SEM products when I convetered my Old School Diamond Plow to a MM1 Fisher. See signature for link and it shows the painting stages.
    T.J.

9. go plow

go plow Senior Member

i was a autobody tech, and have used sem products and love them, however, for a plow that im just going wreck the paint ill stick to the cheaper stuff and just paint them every two seasons for $30.. vrs $200. for example...now if i was painting my truck , id break out my sata 2000 and do it right! i would sand blast it like the guys have said, if you cant blast it use one of those sanding disks for a 4 inch grinder with 60 or 80 grit on it, prime and paint, then if you need to the next season just give it a topcoat...

10. South Seneca

I used a sanding disc on a grinder, and an air powered soft pad sander on mine.

My complaint about powder coat was how much rust was going on under the paint. I didn't know it was there 'til I started with the sander. If my plow is rusting, I want to see it so I can take care of it.

I spent about $30 in paint and primer, and $5 for a brush. I'll do that every spring if I have to.