1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Painting Plow Help

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by DareDog, Sep 30, 2011.

1. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

Sandblasted the front of the blade and now got it primed. looking in to what paint will hold up the best and longest. only plow 10 driveways. thanks if any one has recent pics of there plow they painted a while ago post them.

2. Super Mech

Super Mech Member

Picking mine up from sand blaster on Monday. I powdercoated the A frame and am going to paint the blade and trip edge with Rustoleum primer and Rustoleum safety yellow paint thinned with a little acetone.

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I never painted a plow but many other things and when we used many light coats vs. a couple heavy coats it held up better.

4. rick502

rick502 Member
    from Vermont

I did some research on the site, lot of threads on paint.like painting anything, good prep, good primer and multiple thin coats as noted by Brian above. Also key to allow plenty of cure time between coats and after final coat. A lot of folks use the Rustoleum and swear by it so I used that. Will try an post pic later.

5. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

Well my 3 cents since I run a paint shop is go with Imron. I costs more, but in the long run it holds up well. I also like the epoxy primer after sand blasting.

6. rick502

rick502 Member
    from Vermont

Rustoleum Sunburst yellow

painted.JPG

7. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

Looks real good

8. rick502

rick502 Member
    from Vermont

Thanks, can"t wait for some snow so I can try her out.

9. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

The sad part of all of this is I need to do mine. I do everyones elses, but I get paid to do theres.

10. rick502

rick502 Member
    from Vermont

tough to work on your own stuff after working on everyone elses all day

11. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

Your so right. Maybe if I'm able to sale the 2 Western controls I have here I can aford to buy paint just for myself and the wife want get mad

12. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Painted with fisher paint two coats of primer one coat of fisher paint
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

Great job and well done. I will get mine done before the snow comes even if I have to do it in the cold. I have to do my gear change first. They will be here next week

14. rick502

rick502 Member
    from Vermont

That looks great, nice job

15. searay220

searay220 Member

What do think about using the Rino Liner stuff in a can on the headgear and pump?
    Of course after a good sanding and priming.

16. chevyzrule810

17. chevyzrule810

The headgear and springs have been sprayed with rust tough after being sandblasted.
    [​IMG]

18. joee0914

joee0914 Junior Member

You should try POR-15.. the paint is the strongest and longest lasting that i've ever dealt with. But the results are based on how well the surface was prepped like any other paint. Under coated my truck 3 years ago with it and the paint is still clean with no chips or anything like that.

Not really sure what colors it comes in though.. i think only black grey silver and clear...

19. NWanner

NWanner Member

POR-15 comes in black and grays, but it has to be top coated if it's going to be exposed to UV lights (according to their website). I'm waiting for tomorrow to call them to see if I can use any paint as a top coat, but they also sell a metallic and white top coat under their brand. Also, POR-15 doesn't need the metal prepped like other paints, just brush onto rusty metal.

20. joee0914

joee0914 Junior Member

But if your going to use it on clean metal with only a little rust make sure you scuff the hell outta it and clean it a couple times with a good degreaser.