1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Painting old Plow pump housing

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jfleming, Dec 3, 2014.

1. jfleming

jfleming Member

Any suggestions on prepping the surface before I rattle can some western red on the old pump housing? Should I primer the surface first? Never really painted cast aluminum....

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

clean it with something that does not have a residue to get the oil off....enamel reducer, precleaner, brake cleaner
  3. jfleming

jfleming Member

Yeah I have got that part covered.... I was wondering if I need to primer the components, or will the western paint stick just fine?
  4. Mholubek

Mholubek Member

Iv painted a few.
    Iv used primer...and others I didn't.

Lightly scuff up the aluminum with a scotch Brite pad. Clean well. Let dry. Thro on the paint.
  5. Mholubek

Mholubek Member

If you are gonna use primer..
    Probably should use self etching as it'll bond to the raw metal better
  6. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

After epoxy primer, paint you could use clear with harder don't forget to wet sand and buff
  7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

It's a plow pump. That's all I have to say.
  8. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

there are aluminum specific primers if you took the housing down to bare metal. if it still has the old paint on it, then just paint it. the only reason for a primer is so that the paint adheres to whatever material youre painting. also so that you don't end up with bleed through, like if you were painting wood, the oils in the wood will bleed through if it is not primed properly..