1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Painting My Plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Sierrabarry, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Sierrabarry

Sierrabarry Junior Member

I have an 8' straight blade that is about 5 years old and the powder coating on the blade has been falling off since the plow was 2 years old and now the blade is starting to rust in a lot of spots and I hate the way it looks. I'd like to fix the blade so it looks nice again. Am I better off having the blade dipped or blasted? After the blade is primed what kind of paint should I put on it? I'm not apposed to taking it somewhere if anyone knows someone that is good in the Milwaukee area.

2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

rustolem sunrise red..........don't forget to add the hardener.
  3. Cat Man 77

Cat Man 77 Member

Go out and get it chromed :rolleyes:, that would sure be unique :cool:
  4. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I wonder how much that would cost? My buddy had his bumper re-chromed on his 4-4-2, cost him $400 iirc. payup

Can you imagine the reflections from lights! LOL :dizzy:
  5. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

good call... someone will have it done eventually and it will be slick rick
  6. Cat Man 77

Cat Man 77 Member

how well would that last anyway?
  7. seventwenty

seventwenty Member

assuming the person doing the chroming did a good job, and you weren't plowing anything super abrasive I don't see why it wouldn't last longer, its a thin sheet of metal vs a layer of paint..

on-coming traffic might not like you but nuts to them for not thinking of the idea first. ussmileyflag
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You may want to check about having it sandblasted and powder coated. The powder coat should last longer than paint.
  9. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

I say chrome it:nod:!!!
  10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Powdercoat is about $400 for a moldboard here.

If you paint it, Rustoleum safety red is the closest, Sunrise is too bright and Regal is too dark. Add some hardner and lay it on thick. I spray mine usually.
  11. cr252many

cr252many Junior Member

Depending on your definition of "dipping"...mostly paint removal is done thermal and that doesn't remove all the rust. You will need to get it sandblasted to remove all the rust. A good Powder Coat is your best finish, expect to pay $300 - $450 for the complete plow. Then remember all this in about 2-3 years...because it will happen again.
  12. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

if you want chrome you might want ot look into galvanizing. my plow guy was tryin to talk me into it. he galvanizes all his trailers and did one of his old plows. he used it for a season or two and its just been sitting outside for a few years now since the truck it was on took a crap. it looks pretty cool and isnt too bad price wise. its like $350 he said buts thats for the minimum amount of galvanizing, he said you can do like 4-5 plows with that min. amount so you get some buddies together and 75-100 bucks doesnt sound too bad to me. just need to get a few guys together and i plan on doing it
  13. SNO-PRO

SNO-PRO Member

There is a guy near Richfeild(Schultzs Fab)that does sandblasting and epoxy painting, I have had better luck with the epoxy paint than the powdercoat finish
  14. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

what would something like that cost for an 8ft plow?
  15. SNO-PRO

SNO-PRO Member

Depends like anything, if you bring just the pan or whole plow assembled. And I know exsisting powdercoat can be extremely diffucult to sandblast off so that cost can vary. I think 300ish and as always cash talks from expierienxe
  16. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

I know a neighbor of mine repainted his plow blue with a big maze M in the middle for UofM. I'd like to paint mine green with a big white S on it for Michigan State. lol
  17. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I just sanded mine down with a soft/coarse grinder attachment for my drill and hit it with some rustoleum.
  18. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

We just grind the heavy scale off with a flap disc on an angle grinder, scrape the whole thing and scuff up the powder-coat that stays put. Rustoleum red or black paint and a brush. Haven't added any hardener to ours and it lasts 2 seasons on the mold-board and much longer on the push frames. They do stay a bit sticky but snow doesn't seem to care.

No matter what you do, they plow will get rusty. But keeping it looking good from 15 feet away and smoothing out the front always helps both the image and fuction.
  19. Injunfarian

Injunfarian Member

I say paint it dont powder coat it.,.. there is a long discussion on offroad forums about powdercoating... powder coating does last longer than paint in most cases but if you are dealing with abbrassive stuff it doesnt matter since once it gets under paint or the powder coat its messed anyways and paint is easier to touch up then powder coating.
    Best of all worlds paint it using CARC paint but i am not too sure how well it would repell snow... but dont have to worry about scratches etc.
  20. FF to last

after all that hard work,.. spray it down with Fluid Film (no joke)
    I used to paint every year-- scrape, sand , prime and paint
    then I found FF two years ago-- and i have not painted since