1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

painting my chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lawnandplow42, Jun 26, 2005.

1. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

My friend is painting my 1987 chevy pickup for me. What materials will i need for the complete job?

2. Chevytruck85

Chevytruck85 Senior Member

some paint

3. caz41

caz41 Member

and a brush. :nod:

4. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

some tape I had to keep it going <lol>

5. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

i can tell you are an intelligant one. :dizzy: :gunsfiring:

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

we seriousily need a laughing smilie!! Too funny.

You'll need the paint of your choice, the proper thinner for the said paint, clear coat compatible with the paint of your choice, sanding paper (both wet and dry) down to 600 for an ok job, 1000 or better for a great job, naptha (to wash in between sanding), maksing paper and tape, molding tools to remove the moldings, sanding blocks. That I think should about do it.

(if you're not going to remove them and do it right send the truck to Maco or Earl Sheib for $300 and save yourself the effort because the paint alone could cost you that and a quick and dirty job will be cracking, pealing, and generally failing just as a Macco job will be.)

7. owen

owen Member
    from florida

Did you paint it yet?

I painted mine. The front fender looked great, by the time I got to the tailgate it looked like frosting on a cake. Orange-peel would be smooth in comparison. In my mad rush to paint I completely forgot to drain the half gallon of water that accumulated in the compressor tank.

If I did it again I'd get an inline water filter...... But I wouldn't do it again.
    I spent about 500 bucks on crap. I bought almost $300 of PPG single stage paint. 2 years later the truck looks faded and oxadized.

Painting is 90% preperation. Maaco and those types actually do a nice job of painting, but they suck at prep work. They couldn't make a profit if they did proper prep. They will paint your mirrors, guages, wheels and right over rust, wax and dirt. I would even let them do the body work, but I would pull any dents and prep the area first so they need as little filler as possible.

I would do the weeks worth of prep myself. get all rust down to steel and primer it. Remove EVERYTHING you don't want overspray on. Getting rid of bumpers, door knobs, grills etc.. will also allow them to do a better paint job. If you didn't remove any glass then soon as you get it back take some thinner and wipe the overspay right off.

Toss some old wheels on it and illigally drive it with no lights and lenses to the paint shop.