1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

painting mirrors and fender flare?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by dpglandscapes, Feb 24, 2012.

1. dpglandscapes

dpglandscapes Senior Member
    from 01982

Hey i was just wondering if any of you guys on here have painted the gmc stock fender flares or the towning mirrors. Im thinking of doing it and was looking for the gloss black or maybe painted to match the color of my truck. I was gonna wrap them but i dont think that the wrap will last that long and plasti dip doesnt come in gloss black as far as i know. Any advice or ideas will help.

2. ajracing81

ajracing81 Member

do to the fact there are textured it will require a little more work. 1st clean the parts real well with wax and greese remover 2nd scuff them with a red scotch brite or something close to that grit(320). i wouldnt sand them with sand paper because it tends to leave the plastic have fuzzy texture. 3rd get a good plastic primer . 4th if you want to get rid of the texture you need to prime them with a fill prime that you can sand smoth. after you sand with 320 or 400 grit you can paint. i would use an automotive paint base/clear it will give you the best result. Its not easy if you want it done right.
  3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Mossman has done his 08 and 02 Chev. Check his post in this section.
  4. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

the flares on my 1500 are smooth, and they are painted factory same colour as the bottom 1/2 of the truck
  5. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

You can paint over plastidip.
  6. dpglandscapes

dpglandscapes Senior Member
    from 01982

i was wondering that for a while..but didnt really wanna try.. does it come out good like the paint woudnt crack over the plasta dip or is there a specific paint to use for covering plasti dip
  7. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

Dont have a gm but i did my ford mirrors white to match. Its not hard just time consuming. Take your time and use a quality primer/paint and either sand them or leave them textured. I left mine textured and they came out well. I hung them from a stand and painted which makes it easier than setting them on something and having to paint dry and flip