1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

painting letters in the plow???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sir spaniourd, Jan 10, 2005.

1. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

Do you guys know of any kind of paint or spray paint that would stick on the plow? I was thinking writing stuff as a way of advertising :confused:

2. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Yeah, Jeremy Seacat here in IN did that with his plow. At least I think it was him, before his Boss got stolen.

Looked absolutley awesome! Totally professional.

He used adhesive letters, not paint. Your'e going to want to replace them a few times as you plow. The snow will affect a bit of wear and tear, I would imagine, so stick 'em on.

Look for Jeremy Seacat's (If I'm spelling his name correctly?) post and see if you can find his "Grounds Maintainance' Dodge snowplow.

His user name is 'ceaman', look for a pic, it's cool.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  3. sir spaniourd

is it the one with a dodge ram with "The Boss" on it?
    It looks pretty cool!

4. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

No. That comes with the snowplow. He (or SOMEONE) has the name and phone number of his company emblazoned across the moldboard.

Grounds Maintainance or Ground Control or something like that. That is why I thought it was Ceaman.

Looked totally slick.

5. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

I had lettering made up at fast signs, cost $20 and has lasted 4 storms and is showing signs of where but so cheap Ill just replace it next season.
    James

6. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Yeah! That's what I was thinking! I'ts so cheap and they can turn 'em out so fast, just get a new one.

Mabye get magnetic if you have a steel plow, just yank 'em when it's time to push snow. Cool.

James, what if you sprayed a coat of clear on your letters? Think that would make 'em a bit more durable?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  7. Chaser13114

Chaser13114 Senior Member

We painted all our blades last year. It started to wear off every one of them in 5 plows or less. The one that lasted the longest was rolled on the rest were sprayed. We won't do that agian. Late last season I had vinyl letters cut they were expensive but have worked very well. Have lasted 25 plows with no wear. We just (1week ago) applied vinyl letters to the remaining blades. I found a local supplier that was much cheaper than the one I used last year. Well after 4 events last week the letters are coming off. They definitaly won't last the season. The material they are made of is noticably thinner than the letters from last season so I guess you get what you pay for.

8. Chaser13114

heres some pics

This one is already coming off

temp.jpg

9. Chaser13114

This one also is coming off

temp.jpg

10. sir spaniourd

Thanks Jeremy,
    I'll see if i can find that picture of his truck. Definetely is going to look cool. I think is a great idea to advertise my truck while is parked in my driveway and for only $20 is worth it.
    Chaser, how much did you pay for the lettering?

11. Chaser13114

This one is from last yaer made with heaveir vinyl and is still in great shape

temp.jpg

12. Chaser13114

The letters on the backhoe were $90. They were made buy the most reputable sign shop in town.

The lettering on the international (same size letters) were $20. Fly by nighjt company. We used the dump truck once and it was coming off. Same holds true for all the other cheap ones. I need to call the guy and find out if he can get a better grade vinyl.

I also have a pic from a painted blade from last year. We used it maybe 5 times.

13. Chaser13114

here's a spray painted after 5 uses

temp.jpg

14. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

When you get the stuff made up ask the guy for enough clear vinyl to cover the letters. Just have him cut a rectangular sheet. If your lettering is say 4'X2' have him give you a piece 4'6"X2'6" of clear. After you get the lettering on spray down the whole area with water and a drop or two of dish washing soap. This way you can center the clear over the top. Then use a squeegee to smooth it out. This will push all the water and air out. You may still have a few air bubbles. Let is sit for 15 20 min then take a pin and pop any bubble and smooth out the area with your fingers. Get the 5 year stuff and it will hold up very well. You may need to use a hair dryer to get it to lay flat along the edges of the lettering but most times you won't.

15. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

If you guys have a lot of equipment to do check out http://www.stikastore.com/
    You can get a 12" machine for around $500 and they also cary all different grades of vinyl

16. Chaser13114

This is also a 90 dollar vinyl from last year that has had a ton of use before this pic

temp.jpg

17. Chaser13114

Thanks for the info

I will look into that. We've spent over $1500 this year alone in vinyl lettering. I'll trey the clear also.

18. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Chaser the machine is great. I have done a complete Tilt A Whirl with the thing. You realy can't beat the price. If you get it and need some help setting it up give me a call 847-875-9662.

19. sir spaniourd

After two plows the "fisher" sticker came completely off my blade but as you guys said the lettering with the clear vinyl may be the only option.
    you guys are awesome.
    Thanks for all the information