1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Painting Hideaway Strobes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DAMSLandscaping, Dec 26, 2006.

1. DAMSLandscaping

DAMSLandscaping Member

Anyone every tryed painting hideaway strobes with a high heat paint or is this a bad idea? I Have a bunch of clear ones but i need some amber and dont want to buy them? Any input?
  2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I'm pretty sure if you paint them, they will blow within seconds. When I bought mine, the package said your not even suppose to touch them with your hands. Just my 0.02
  3. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Why not just put them behind amber lenses?
  4. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

Or Ebay yours then buy some :dizzy:

I know,, I know you can't afford to buy anything,,, CAUSE WE HAVE NO FREAKIN SNOW!!!!

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

From what I have seen and heard the amber strobes don't hold their color well because they have a coating. Stick with the clears they will grab the attention. I have the clear hide-ways on the pick-up and they work great!

On a side note DAMS did you see Don's Turf Depot closed out of the clear blue? Now Yerxa's is the only option!
  6. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

That would be an incredibly bad move. At least now you have some bulbs that work. If you paint them, you'll be forced to buy new ones.
  7. DAMSLandscaping

DAMSLandscaping Member

I'll stick to the clear then..

Ya i was shocked that they were gone! I just got 2 $50 part and service coupons then POOF there gone. They at least fixed my billy goat before they left. The 2 in NH are still open so i may take a trip down there and cash it my coupons. Maybe its not worth the trip though..
  8. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

I've been running the same set of amber Whelen hide-a-ways without any noticeable color loss for the last seven seasons. You will lose some strobe clarity over time due to age, dust, dirt, vehicle lens transparency, etc.

The big and obvious key to the color scheme is what are the legal requirements of your area.

Just my .02¢
  9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

how'd you get the Cents sign in there??