1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Painting bobcats

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ducaticorse, Feb 26, 2013.

1. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Id like to freshen up my machines and was wondering if any of you guys have done this. there is peeling and very luight surface rust. looking for a decent looking commercial finish. Would rather spray cans, but will use a gun and compressor.

Any suggestions such as abrasives to scuff it up, and painting process?

2. BuffaloJoe

BuffaloJoe Member

Did one a couple years ago, wire wheeled the whole thing but sandblasting would be good too. Then used a rust preventative primer and gloss enamel. You may have to thin the enamel to atomize right.

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 020.jpg

Picture 017.jpg

Picture 034.jpg

Picture 033.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  3. BuffaloJoe

BuffaloJoe Member

Few more...

Picture 038.jpg

Picture 042.jpg

Picture 048.jpg

Picture 040.jpg

4. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

I did one too, i think i made a thread on here or lawnsite.
    I wirewheeled it, powerwashed with degreaser, and sprayed it in my driveway with a home depot paint gun. Still going strong

5. ducaticorse

from we

Howw bout some after pics Joe!!? my 753 looks like your "before" picture!!

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Are you painting it back to factory colors or going to put company colors on it?

Here's my point of view. Depending on the age of the machine a repaint can be a huge turn off to a potential buyer down the road if there isn't proof of before pictures to show why it was done. I've gone to look at a few machines that look good in pictures only to find out they were given a 5 minute paint job and their hiding something.

However painting with company colors is a big theft deterrent. It could possibly be tough to resell but its easier to explain then a factory repaint sometimes.

7. ducaticorse

from we

The only thing you can really hide with paint is welds, and that's if they look factory, which most don't. My machine has welds, and I'm not concerned with reselling. I just want a more respectable look on job sites and when I'm trailering the machine around town.