1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Painting after fluid film

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by SharpBlades, Nov 7, 2013.

1. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

I just pulled my spreader out of storage for this year after the summer and there's quite a bit of rust on it. I fluid filmed it last year before I put it in storage and the fluid film is still pretty fresh. What should I do before I go ahead and give it a quick once over with spray paint?

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I would think you need to clean the fluid film off completely to get any paint to stick.

3. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

I believe just some mild soap, like a car wash soap, and a little scrubbing should take care of it.

4. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Thats the only thing I hate about fluid film. Its a pain to get off and dust sticks to it like crazy.

5. Super Mech

Super Mech Member

Rent a hot water pressure washer if you don't have one or know someone who has one. That and some citrus degreaser should do the trick.

6. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

I never thought about some citrus... That would probably work well!!!

I wonder how orange hand cleaner would work?? Like GoJo or Fast Orange.

7. Super Mech

Super Mech Member

I think the hand cleaners might be too mild. FF is lanolin wax based. Wax being the key word here. You are going to need some hot water to break that stuff down. Liquid degreasers will work better as they can flow into the nooks and crannies of the spreader. The paint won't stick if there is wax left on there. Clean it good and sand the rust down to bare metal and use a good metal primer. Painting is 95% preparation and 5% application.

8. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

What I ended up doing was sanding it, then cleaning it with gasoline before painting. Everything still looks good.