1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

painting a poly plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Boomer123, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

Just a question I've got an older ultramount poly plow turned kind of pink. I'm wondering could you paint it with Krylon paint for plastic.

2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I can't imagine spray paint sticking very well to poly.

3. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

I've never known anyone to try painting any poly so far.

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Before you paint try this http://www.duplicolor.com/product/plastic-and-vinyl-restore-coating in a place that would be on the back of the moldboard out of sight.

Painting Ploy can be done, you just need to have the correct paint and follow the paint mfr's recommendations, clean surfaces, scuff surfaces and proper temperature are important.
    I've used Krylon and Dupli-Color paints on plastic and it holds up pretty good but never on a poly moldboard and this is where I think the clear coat restore shown in the link above would be a better choice.

5. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

Thanks for the info

6. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

For painting automotive plastics, the are products paint mfgrs produce which you 'pre-treat' the plastics to create a good bonding surface. To me they all smell like PVC pipe cleaner (for about 20x more $$). What you could do is try some PVC cleaner on a small portion of the poly blade and see if it will 'soften' up a little of the surface. If it does, spray some on the entire plow before you apply a urethane 2k sealer, then topcoat with a urethane paint. Reason I say urethane is you need a highly flexible paint to hold up to the flexing in the cold.

At the end of the day, I don't think you'll be all that satisfied with the results. The paint will eventually wear/chip in places and below will be the pink or even worse, expose the contrasting color sealer beneath. For all that work, I think you can buy a new poly moldboard for a couple hundred bucks. If you do it and it works, let us know how it goes. Check youtube too, I bet some on there have tried it.

7. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

the poly skins aren't that cheap. for instance, if it's a 7-1/2 Pro Poly, that moldboard kit, with the poly moldboard and fasteners (part # 49322) lists for $737.

8. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

Woah! I didn't realize they were that much. Seems like I had seen some for like $350 but that must have been on ebay or something. Have you looked on Ebay or done a wide C/L search? Maybe you could find a leftover one. How much would a steel moldboard cost? Maybe that makes more sense...

9. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

Well then, you should consider doing what I recommended. Maybe take it to a local body shop if you don't have the painting supplies. The critical part of the job will be spraying the plastic with a 'softening' agent prior to applying a sealer will provide a good bond. I would also add a flex agent into the sealer and paint to allow the paint to better comply with the flexing (especially when cold), and expansion/contraction due to temperature differences. Apply at least 3x coats of paint. Use all urethane-grade products which allow the best flexing and great wear properties. This is essentially how one would paint a car bumper and look how much they can stand up to. Good luck.