1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

painting a plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John O., Apr 11, 2005.

1. John O.

John O. Member

just bought a new truck and it has a plow on it that needs a paint job what should i do if i want to do it myself what paing how to prep and so on
  2. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

If you have a Napa store by you check with them.They carry original paints for the diffrent plows.and they should help you.If not PM me and I can walk you through it...
  3. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Get the paint codes from Western and you can take it to any place that sells automotive paint. We use diamond vogal 4 gallons of gm white from Diamond Vogal just cost me $110.00, Napa wanted $180 for the same stuff. The only thing is with Napa I could get it today and Diamond Vogal I had to wait for them to deliver it the next day. To save the 70 bucks I waited. Napa is great don't get me wrong but it isn't the most economical place to buy automotive paint.

If you need help with the process give me a call and I can walk you through it. A lot of how you will go about this will depend on the tools you have at hand. We sand blast everything but before I could afford a blaster I use to use 6" orbital sanders. Anyways here is my number 847-875-9662. I am going to start to blast my plow this weekend. Since you are so close if you wanted to drop by the shop I would be glad to show you. My shop is in Union Grove right off of 45.

Good Luck
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  4. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Most likely he can't PM you :eek:

I would scrape, sand as much rust of as you possibly can, Then hit it with a heavy duty primmer made to stick to rust. Any nice color of "Rustoleum" spray paint should work well for you.

Use many coats of paint and primer, then seal the deal with a clear coat finish.

Thats what I did with mine worked really well, coast about 20 bucks :nod:

Welcome to plow site :waving:
  5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

SEARCH the site. This has been covered several times.
    So far all I use is Rustoleum- not worth spending $$$ on Auto quality paint unless you want to win a show-n-shine on the off season and have a kick-a$$ custom paint job.

Plain Rustoleum Sunburst yellow is almost Fisher yellow. They have Safety Red which is Western red (almost).
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

What do you mean it needs a paint job?
    Is it rusted or just worn looking?
    I am a painter but without more info it's hard to say how to proceed.
    The big thing before is prep,degreased and cleaned, painting takes 1/4 of the time. Rust reformer done right makes the rust not return anytime soon.
    I get great results out of "Can Paint" and Walmart has alot of colors for $1 a can. My plows "John Deer yellow" for $6.
  7. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

just painted my plow today. took lots of prep but i am happy with the outcome. I used a rustoleum paint it was something like old catapillar yellow. I think not sure will take pics and get the actaul name tom