1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Painted my f-150

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by 2tonsoffordfun, Sep 8, 2009.

1. 2tonsoffordfun

2tonsoffordfun Member
    from Maine

Got tired of the dings dents and scratches, mostly from the previous owner, and I've always liked 2-tone trucks so I decided to paint the truck. I chose to stick with the factory ford 2 tone scheme, but with a different color combo. And yes, I did it all myself!

before-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 2tonsoffordfun

2tonsoffordfun Member
    from Maine

3. 2tonsoffordfun

2tonsoffordfun Member
    from Maine

and after-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I just need to give it a good detail, install my tomar hideaways, put a locker in the rear end and accessorize a little bit.

4. BeSeenGraphics

BeSeenGraphics Member

Looking good! Are you going to have it lettered? If so, I'd be happy to help you out with some ready to apply lettering. Just send me a PM if interested.

5. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

man be careful with a locker in that rig if it has the 8.8

i broke a few 8.8's with 33's and larger and a agressive posi traction.

9.75 is good

6. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

That looks great! Helluva lot Better than Maaco! What kind of setup do you have for spraying? I've been kicking around the idea of "rollering" an 87 Toyota truck simply because I don't have a good compressor or guns.

EDIT: NICE WORK WITH THE NEWS PAPER! Thats some of the best papermasking I've seen yet.

7. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

That look nice. Did you sand all old paint off then paint or you paint cover old paint?

Did 5.4L came with 8.8 or 9.75? Someone told me 4.2L or 4.6L have 8.8 but 5.4L have 9.75.

8. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

hey i need mine done when you get a chance .... my problem is reducing the paint .... any tips ??

9. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

That thing looks great !!:nod:

10. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

It looks much better. nice job. wanna paint my truck??? lol

11. 2tonsoffordfun

2tonsoffordfun Member
    from Maine

wow, lots of response, lets see if i can answer all of the questions.

Beseen- No thanks on the graphics/lettering but thanks for asking

Airhead- Ive got a Napa 60 gallon compressor and I use a variety of HVLP gravity feed guns. Skip the roller thing, If you want a cheap paint job use rattle cans. I actually use Dupli color acrylic enamel on a regular basis to spot in basic colors (black anbd white mostly.) You can get it at Napa and its available in common colors such as black white gray maybe even a blue or red, not positive. Its not a custom match like normal dupli color, it just says "acrylic enamel" on the label. My advice would be do one panel at a time to keep the over spray down and help prevent dry spots. I've acutally done an entire paintjob on a cherokee with acrylic enamel before, alot of work, but it actually looked nice!

Milwaukee- For the most part I just sanded the clearcoat off, but theres a few spots where body work was needed and I had to sand or grind down to bare metal.....and as for the rear end thing, not sure. But i'd like to know, so maybe someone will chime in.

Groundbreakers- As for reducing the paint it all depends on what kind of paint you are using. I used Napa crossfire basecoat/clearcoat at a 2-1 ratio for the color and 4-1-1 for the clear. When you buy your paint, buy it from someone who knows how to paint....ask them what works for them, tje counter guy at my local napa is always a big help, he made this job alot easier!

thanks to everyone for all the compliments....oh and to those of you who asked....no I wont paint your truck lol!!

12. BeSeenGraphics

BeSeenGraphics Member

NP Bud. Like I said...looking good. Nothing like a good freshening up.

13. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Thank you for the answer. I've done a couple rattle can jobs on motorcycles and quarter panels. And I agree with you on the results, if it's wetsanded and buffed, the rattle can stuff looks great. It just takes multiple applications and long dry times.

The guns are cheap, it's the compressor I can't justify yet.... I've got a small "detailing" HVLP gravity gun and a dual stage airbrush with dedicated compressor for fine work. I haven't gotten into the BIG stuff yet. Maybe now's the time.

14. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

I have allways been afraid of the paint soaking past the newspaper.....is that what happened in the silver on the front bumper area? (right below the headlight)

Now don't get me wrong...it looks way better than my mustang I painted. Mine is more of a "fiftyfooter".....looks Great from 50' away!

GREAT WORK!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  15. 2tonsoffordfun

2tonsoffordfun Member
    from Maine

the spot you see under the headlight is bug guts lol. If your paint is soaking through newspaper, then there is somthing wrong. It should never be applied thick enough to soak through paper.

16. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Looks great. I want to see the plow on it.

I think this thread should be a sticky, so people who want to know if they can plow with a 1/2 ton can see that it's just fine to do so.

17. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Looking good

18. 2tonsoffordfun

2tonsoffordfun Member
    from Maine

ask and you shall recieve

[​IMG]

Crappy cell phone pic of the day i brought the plow home, before the new paintjob and before I cleaned up and painted/ waxed/ fluid filmed my plow. The abngle of the pic makes the plow look like a 9 footer lol.

And as for a plow on a half ton- This truck handles the plow like its not there, I havent even installed my timbrens yet, allthough I plan to soon. The truck hardly squats at all, and doesnt feel underpowered at all.

I used to plow with a 92 f-150 striaght six auto long bed. The MM1 setup was awesome on that truck.

19. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

I have not had it soak through...I just worry about it so I get the roll of painting paper to be safe. :gunsfiring:

20. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

What about a HVLP Turbine compressor? I've been thinking about one of those lately, but not sure on how good the paint job would be.