1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by finnegan, Oct 6, 2000.

1. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

Just wondering whats the best type of paint that will stand up to another buffalo winter?
  2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Hey finnegan,

Have no idea what paint would hold up to a Buffalo winter, maybe IMRON the stuff they paint planes with???

If you find something that works for you, let me know. I will immediately paint all my plows with it. I will never have to paint them again.

No way, we are ever gonna have as much snow as Buffalo.

Think SNOW
  3. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I get as much as Buffalo.
    More (on average).

Paint. Maybe Chuck would know something. I've never had paint that won't wear off in time. However, we get about 3 seasons on our Boss plows before repainting them. I don't know what they are using.
  4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

You're starting to know me John. Am I that predictable? ;)

There is a great paint on the market. It's even brake fluid proof. It MUST be applied wearing a respirator. Even outdoors, you NEED the respirator. It's nasty stuff, and VERY TOXIC, but it is the absolute best. The last time I bought it it was $30 a quart. In fact, I haven't painted my plow in 4 years. It holds up that good.
    It contains isocyanates (sp?). They are nasty, because they build up in your body, the same way lead does. Paint thinner won't take this stuff off your hands. Aircraft paint stripper, takes 17 hours to soften it. Acid even takes hours before it starts to eat at it.

It's an MCU (Moisture Cured Urethane). There is a primer version, that you can paint right over rust with. Unlike all the products that claim to "seal" rust, this stuff really does. You can even use it to seal pinholes in gas tanks. A few coats to build it up to about 8 mils is best. Then you apply the top coat version. It comes clear, but you can add pigmanets to it to make it any color you want. They also sell it in black, but you could just add black pigment to the clear coat. The primer doesn't hold up to UV rays, so any topcoat will work over it. For the best results, you need to use the primer, then your color, then the top coat. I gave my plow 2 coats of clear, with a brush so I could lay it on thicker. The more you "build" with this stuff, the longer it will last.

You can't buy it in stores, and it's for "industrial use only". I got mine at a swap meet, at Raceway Park in Englishtown NJ. There was a dealer in West Milford, but I can't locate him now. Let me try to find more info about where to get it, as my supply has dwindled.

Oh yeah, this stuff passes a salt spray test with flying colors. I mean about 32 hours of salt spray, with no adverse affects. A salt spray test is when you gouge an X in the painted surface down into the metal. It is then sprayed with salt for hours on end....

It's called Mastercoat. It's MCU.

I'm hoping to become a dealer in the near future.

5. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Hey Chuck I think he's just painting a plow not the space shuttle,also he would like to be alive and using his plow when he was finished not quarentined in some hospital for exposure to toxic substances.
  6. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

Digger: If you don't use a good quality paint, you'll never have a solid surface to place your stickers.
  7. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

To our Iowa friends: Thanks for my LOL of the day! Maybe we should send Chuck down to NASA. They could sure use his help. Nah... Lets keep him here with us, we'd appreciate it more, and they'd end up wasting his talents. Think snow!!!
  8. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

iowastorm is right. You want those fancy stickers on a nice smooth surface! Finnegan asked about the best, and MCU is the best. It's not that bad. So what if I can't bend the fingers on my left hand anymore.... I didn't need my left hand use anyway. I'm right handed ;)

~Chuck ;)
  9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

yea Chuck I would love to know where you can get that stuff just got done painting my plow but i have the back to do yet.
  10. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

If ya want a less toxic paint. I just don't want to have to list a substance like that in my MSDS sheets. Go with the Meyer/Diamond paint, it holds up well.

11. Bill c

Bill c PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ny

Por15 is also very good and heavy duty paint,I believe they have a web site.
  12. John Allin

What Chucck didn't tell you is that this stuff also puts and end to any future sinus problems (no more nose), no more stuffy nose (mucus membranes will be fried), no more need for shaving (it eats off your skin), no more need for gloves in winter (as there won't be any more pain nerves in your hands, much less any skin), no more alcohol (because your liver will be shot too).

Chuck.... whattaya trying to do??

We want this guy to come back here to the board with more than just knobs at the end of his arms !! No wonder they don't sell this stuff across the counter, or across the ocean for that matter.

I'll paint my plows every year with some other stuff. A least I'll be able to see where the stickers will go.

Hey guys...My fault for recommending Chuck. Better not ask him what to clean the hydralics with - we'll all need an environmental suit..... but the lines will be cleaned out.

Good one on the shuttle......

(just kidding, Chuck)
  13. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Boy these guys are rough Chuck. So what if you are rainman when you are done painting.
    Yeah definatly use mastercoat, yeah definatly.
    Well we painted last year with yellow John Deere primer. It is cheap, easy to find and hold up great. The spreader used staright salt last year and no sign of rust, oh yeah its stainless. But I also own an airflow mild steel spreader, and thats the one we painted. The backs we top coated black, but the fronts we just sprayed 2 coats of primer, and it didnt wear off, or flake. Nad trust me the prep was porr at best, it just adheres to everything great.
  14. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

I'm not rough. I'm just trying to waste all of these responses so I can be a senior member; then I'll be important like everyone else (and kill time until it starts snowing).
  15. John Allin

What's after "senior member" ???
  16. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

Double Secret Senior Member
  17. John Allin

Sounds intimidating.

I like it.
  18. Snow Pro

Snow Pro Senior Member

I always thought it was "Senor Member" where you needed a name like Gonzales or Rodriguez or something like that.

John Allin and IowaStorm, I noticed you're now Seniors. WOW! Someday I'm wanna grow up and be just like you!
  19. Snow Pro

Snow Pro Senior Member

Dino -

Did you intend to put just the 2 coats of primer on or was it a job your guys didn't finish?

Also, if everything sticks to it, does that include snow?
  20. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We repaint every year, so why bother with a top coat. We are out all during a storm, and the sand mix we use, acts like a sandblaster, and tears the paint all up. So we just prime them, and reprime next season. They make a yellow primer, so the plows dont look to goofy. Snow doesnt slide off as well when stacking, but we live with it. Our urethane edges have a large lip, so snow tends to hang up anyway. We just give the plow a little shake when we start backing out of the pile and that does the trick.