1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Paint??

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by cmo18, Oct 26, 2010.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I'm looking at painting my plow before the season. I have some rust issues and would like to cover them up but am having trouble finding paint.

Who makes a good plow paint that prevent rust as well? I wasn't planning on stripping the whole blade down so a color match yellow would be nice

2. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Hey Chris, all I ever use is Tremclad rust paint. I assume you mean New Bruswick Canada, based on your location. If so, it's available at any Canadian Tire, Walmart, or Home Depot in Canada. Mine usually lasts a couple of seasons before I have to do it again.

3. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

does the tremclad yellow match tho?

4. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

another great, but expensive rust product is POR-15 found here: http://www.por15.com/ I haven't done it yet, but I plan on coating my plow mount with it once i get the rust sanded down. figure at least that way. then i plan on painting it with regular metal paint to match.

5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i pressure wash to get the flaking off, then treat with phosphoric acid, and let dry. then i prime with rustoleum heavy rust red primer, and finish off with rustoleum safety yellow paint.

6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

its does seem quiet expensive.

Rustoleum or tremglad i guess is the way Ill go. I think I'm just going to take a wire brush to get all the existing rust off then prime and paint

7. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

i have 2 plows im looking to redo as well. ive never used POR 15 though but i know a lot of people say it is very nice. how does it work though? it goes on after primer? im planning on taking my blades down to metal where there rusted and just scuffing up where the paint is still there but old and faded. i was then going to primer and paint. would i use the POR 15 prior to primer of after its primered or not primer at all and just use POR 15 and paint my color on top of it. someone who has used this before please let me know

8. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

i'll ask my brother tonight. he uses POR-15 a lot at his body shop; i haven't used it before but he tells me it is the best thing since sliced bread for rusty metal. He did say it is watery in it's consistency and that a little goes a long way.

9. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

yeah how much would i need was going to be my next question.lol

10. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

just remember one thing, once por 15 goes on, it will never come off.
    so if you plan on doing the whole plow in the future, don't use the por 15 till then

11. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

i dont plan on doing it for a whileafter i do it this time so i should be good. so im going to apply POR 15, then primer, then my paint? or will the paint stick directly to the POR 15? ive never used it so not exactly sure how it works

12. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

pretty sure it spells it out better on the POR 15 label; but the gist it you get all the loose rust off, prep it with a wax/grease remover -brush/spray on the POR 15, apply primer and then paint. Since you just want to cover it with some paint maybe some regular paint/primer would be better since its way cheaper and you don't have to order it. I'm just using POR 15 because I'm building the mount and want to completely re-do all the paint on the plow.

13. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Just redid my plow this fall. Replaced the rusted out section, sandblasted everything down. A friend of mine owns a body shop and shot it for me. Said he used a single stage urethane on it. He brought some color swatches and we matched a yellow fleet card to the meyer yellow before i sandblasted. It wasn't cheap paint, and insists i'll get 5 years out of the paint job. I'll get some pictures if you guys are interested.

14. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

We are Always, Always, Always, Interested in Pictures.

Thankyou,

Kenyou