1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Paint recommendations for plow blade

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kcplowman, Jan 23, 2012.

1. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

Whats a good paint for painting my old plow blade with. Its and old 7.5 meyer that I am redoing and putting on a skid. I would like to have it powdered but that not really an option right now. Just looking for something that will hold up pretty well and not wanting to go the rattle can route. Thanks
  2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

o use john deere constrution yellow holds up great
  3. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I have used a spray can made by ACE Hardware. It's apaw safety line paint, something like that. 6.99 a can (i use 2 cans)and it usually holds up for a few yrs, the last time i painted mine was 4 yrs ago. Pic in my sig
  4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

5. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

Can any of these paints be thinned out and sprayed?
  6. BuffaloJoe

BuffaloJoe Member

Wire wheel everything with a grinder or sand blast if that's an option. Prime with a good rust inhibitor primer like Checkrust from Insl-x. As far as paint Sherwin-Williams Industrial Enamel HS is a good choice. It can be thinned but I find that rolling gives you a better coat.
  7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Pick a color that glows in the dark
  8. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

Im actually thinkin like a cobalt blue, Im not too worried about about being true to the meyer yellow. When im done modifying the blade it wont look quite like a meyer. its getting another 1.5 to 2 ft added to it as well as some added bracing and a few more trip springs.
  9. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Chassis Saver , available at autobody supply stores !
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The paint is only as good as what's under it. Get it smooth and the rust reformed you have a good starting point. It has to be totally clean. This will help the paint to stay in place. It depends on how nice you want it. Bondo can be used to smooth rough areas. You then sand it smooth. You can shoot primer and wet sand it to get it very smooth. NAPA stores that do paint can get you any color you want. (Auto paint) A quart and thinner should be enough. Shoot coats till your hearts content. You need at least 70 degrees to get it to set up / spray right. If the coat does not cover move on, the next one may. ( It keeps the runs / sags down ) Sags and runs can be rubbed out too. So it's not the end of a great paint job. Some people have even used fiber glass resin and paint pads to protect the working surface of mold boards. They put the mixed resin on with paint pads. It's hard as a rock and clear.
  11. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

Go with POR15 it is not cheep but it holds up well. You will need to topcoat it. With something. I used a clear coat. And we use it on are trailers at work. It is thin you put it on with a brush and it looks like it was sprayed on. Check them out

I love my Z
  12. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

I was diappointed with por-15....2 coats and i still have rust bleed thru
  13. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

Sorry to here that. The only thing I don't like about it. It is not UV producted. It will fade in sun light. You can try a lacquer enamel
    paint. Its a hard paint. A few cans should do your plow.

I love my Z
  14. Mackfire68

Mackfire68 Junior Member

Isn't there special paint that should be applied to plows that keep the snow from sticking?
  15. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

16. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Powder coating blades really looks nice, but I have found that the paint holds up better when you brush, or roll it on. I have powder coated 3 blades, and rolled 2. The rolled blades last longer, and hold up better.
  17. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Go with POR 15...by far the best product out there,especially to go over rust!As far as the UV thing goes;the directions clearly state it will breakdown due to UV;you must topcoat.Use any quality topcoat or use one of POR brand topcoat.
  18. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

Best paint I found yet is brush on Rustoleum. If you roll it or brush it, the snow never sticks. I tried spraying it and the snow stuck like velcro.
  19. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

NEVER sticks ? :eek:
  20. Chiputz

Chiputz Senior Member

I put two good coats on an old western blade I had and the snow never stuck to it. I painted it with a brush during the summer and it laid on smooth as silk. When I sold the truck three years after, it still looked great but could've used a touchup along the top of the cutting edge.