1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

paint question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Earthscapes, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

I finally got to really wash my truck, the 2nd day over 32 degrees since Jan. 9th.

I noticed 1000's of little rust spots all over the truck. I tried some wax and it did take a few off but a majority of them are still there.
    This is the first white truck i have owned and have never seen this before.
    Anyone know what causes this ?? should i be concerned ??
    oh yeah it's the 02'

Thanks Keith

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It's probably what they call rail dust.Little tiny red hot steel particles that come off the train wheels during transport,and embed themselves in the paint.

You can use a clay bar to get some of them on the surface,but the deep ones will come back.I have it on 4 or 5 of our trucks.All white.

Only permanent solution is strip and repaint.I didn't want no crappy dealer paint job,so I just clay the trucks twice a year,and then a good wax.It helps but they always return,worse in the winter with all the salt.Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2003
  3. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Hey now I do them crappy dealer paintjobs.

The clay bar should work. I have also heard of a Muratic acid and water solution to eat the little rust particles out of the clearcoat. I don't think I want to try that solution.

Try the clay and then a good wax job. If that doesnt help, see the dealer with the best body shop in your area.

Good luck
    Mark K

4. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Now this is gonna sound stupid whats a clay bar ??? where do i get it ??
    One more question is this covered under warranty ?? cause i would love to have the dealer repaint the truck,,just gives me another reason to go back and visit them:D

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Sorry speedracer,didn't mean to offend anyone.I wasn't really reffering to the quality of work at the dealers,just the type of paint job the would pay for.In my case the regional rep authorized a quick repaint.They would just mask everything off,scuff it and spray it.No stripping,no removing any molding,mirrors,lights,etc

I told them I would remove everything,including the interior and glass,strip it,prep it and push it,pull it, or trailer it over to them (they are right next door to us),and then they just spray it.They refused to negotiate at all,so I just left it.

The factory paint is so much nicer than MOST average bodyshops can put out,so I have just lived with it.

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

A clay bar is just a stiff piece of special clay,that picks up dirt and stuff as you draw it over the surface.You need a special lubricant you spray on the surface before you use the clay.Most jobbers,bodyshops,or body suppliers will have them.Maybe checksome online detailing stores too.

It should be covered under warranty,but be prepared for all kinds of hassle.They will say it's environmental fallout,and it's not covered cuz how can they prevent stuff from falling from the sky and sticking to your truck,or some other story.Ask for a district manager or regional rep,and you may get somewhere.

If they won't do it,at least get them to clay the truck for you.You will get to see how it's done at least,if they'll let you watch :)

7. speedracer241

No offense taken:D

I agree they try to scrimp on everything thay have to repaint. They only want to pay half of what the job is worth.

If I have to do warranty paintwork, I do it my way. My reputation is on the line so the job leaves the shop "right". I have quite a following here in my town.

Clay magic comes to mind, I think Meguires has a clay product, too. Check with a local parts store, bet they can help.

If ya need anything else let me know,
    Mark K

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Any plans on moving up here ?? :D

You could do all my trucks for me.

9. speedracer241

Does it snow:D
    Mark K

10. wyldman

wyldman Member