1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Paint problems

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by SuperDuty, Jan 26, 2006.

1. SuperDuty

SuperDuty Senior Member

I have a miniute mount on my 99 250 SD, and the paint basically no longer remains! Was this a problem Fisher had a problem with a few years ago? Also is there any paint out there that any of you would recomend to repaint with!
  2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

While your talking about paint, I figured I would tell everyone. I have had my Boss now 2 years, and I have hit curbs, parking blocks, solid ice, etc. and my plow has not 1 scratch or ding in it. No rust or anything. I just thought I would say that while your on the subject of paint. Thats why I love Boss so much! But damn, those X-blades look sweet!:nod: :nod:
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

JMO, but there were a few years, maybe more, that the prep work they did on their plows sucked, to put it mildly. I have a straight blade from '00 that the paint is just peeling right off from. Had the same thing happen to a '95 Western. I think their powder coating leaves a lot to be desired.
  4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I would say sand off the rest of the paint, get a heavy industrial gray primer, and brush on the new Fisher Stormguard paint. I did that with mine at the start of the season, and have plowed 2 miles of gravel driveways and only have a few nicks and a small scratch (where I hit a pallet... don't ask!)
  5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Western and fisher did have a problem a few years ago with the quality of finish, might be in your interest to contact fisher and explain what you have going on. They are really good about warranty issues and "might" get you a new moldboard. Just have your receipt along with the serial number from the pump and the blade when you call them.
  6. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

When I picked up my 8' HD blade I noticed the power coat wasn't all the groves and was missing in some areas. I took some fisher yellow and carefully touched up each spot. It was real noticeable along each rib because it it not a bead all the way down just tacked in spots, that's why the paint never gets underneath.

Since then, I upgraded to the X-blade. I'm just too fussy. Who ever gets my blade I took back has it all done for them.
  7. SuperDuty

SuperDuty Senior Member

Thanks All! I'm gonna give them a call and see what they say!:salute:
  8. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

Back in '97 I had a Fisher that was peeling. Called Fisher rep and they agreed to replace the moldboard , I had to supply labor . The way they explained it to me was that it was a problem with the steel and they couldn't get any paint to stick to it . I was at the tail end of this problem , don't think it applies any more. Maybe they've had the problem again , wouldn't hurt to check with Fisher . Good luck
  9. RSheaLand

RSheaLand Member

Had the same problem with my plow purchased in Nov 97. Was told they had used oiled and pickeled steel and paint wouldnt stick. I also got my moldboard replaced for no cost.
  10. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

good paint

we repaint our plows with CAT paint, the stuff u can order from cat to repaint your machines... its working good so far last 2 years
  11. SuperDuty

SuperDuty Senior Member

Sent Fisher an e-mail and they basically told me that their problems happened with their 1997 systems and not any others. They told me to take it to an auto body shop. Oh Well!!!:mad:
  12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

that is understandable, after all your vblade is 7 years old.

I have used plain old Rust-oleum with good results.
  13. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Had the same thing happen to me!
  14. SuperDuty

SuperDuty Senior Member

This is what it looks like! And I know it's 7 years old and I can't figure out why the previous owner didn't do something about it!

15. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

If it were mine, here's what I would use: http://www.por15.com/

I've restored a half dozen cars with this paint as well as any number of metal parts for outdoor use using this paint. The best part is it doesn't require removing the rust, just the loose material. Top coat with paint of your choice.