1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Paint on Western plow......too late?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mike Hughes, Jan 19, 2001.

1. Mike Hughes

Mike Hughes Member

I have heard that Western had issues with paint on their plows in the past. I have a western 7.5 which is in sad shape for being only a year old or so. I bought the truck used in November......its a 2000. Do you think I can get anything done about this problem?

It looks terrible to drive a clean, new truck with a plow that looks like you stole it out of a junkyard.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1471628&a=11073115&p=38560604

2. FIREMAN

FIREMAN Member

I personally have never tried to obtain any kind of warranty repair on a plow...they always seem to break when there is no one there to fix it but you anyway.lol..But seriously for the time and effort you might spend trying to get western to pay for a paint job it might be easier to go to the home depot and buy a can of stripper and a wire wheel/paint remover for your drill and some rustoleum rusty metal primer and order some western paint. To spend 50.00 of the money made plowing and spring afternoon making your plow as pretty as your truck isn't as bad as you'd think...
    A couple of cold beers makes enjoyable ....lol

3. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Mike,

If that plow is a year old, Im only 12 years old and too young to drive my plow truck. Especially if you factor in the really lame winter we had last year. Unless they left that thing laying next to the beach somewhere where the tide would roll up against and then dry out, I think someones snookering you on that year old story.

CMERLAND

4. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

plow are painted once a year, usually in june or july (too much work in the spring) on fisher we usually have to rebuilt some coil spring shoes too. this way you're set early in the fall.

during the winter you can do some on spot touch up if necessary. We use yellow tremclad (40 $/gal. cdn money). if you have a paint gun it is easiest. Don't forget the harness

A rusty plow will be the same as you apply a snow glue on it.

and definitively there a lot of rust for 1 years of use ( even if it was in John Allin area)

Denis

[Edited by 4 Saisons on 01-20-2001 at 12:30 AM]

5. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

does the plow is still straight??? or the molboard, does it look like that someone plow big rocks with it ??

If your answer is that the plow doesn't look abused by the past, & it's really a 1 year one, you need to show it to your nearly western dealer!

6. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

GREAT looking truck!

My plow is 19 years old, same age as truck, I had it sandblasted and painted last summer. I am sorry I didn't do the work my self, I will do it right this summer, a company that does powder coat work, asked me if I had herd of POR-15, which I had, they said use it, it will last longer, that is what 2 of their employees have done with their plows.

I talked to Western dealer today checking on a MVP plow, discussed a similar situation with them. They said to contact a dealer or Western directly, maybe you can get something done.

Do you have a friendly dealer you know close by?

If you are a member of SIMA, maybe they can give you some help, don't know I haven't joined them yet.

P.S. website for POR-15 (love the stuff) http://www.por15.com

Sorry for the long post!!

7. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

I'ts my understanding Western has a 2 year warantee on there plows. Get your receipt out!!!! Beautiful day in your picture!!

8. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I've got a Pro Plow 7.5 that was purchased in November of '99, and I've gotta say it looks like new. I think the finish is almost perfect. It has, untill this season when an new driver has it, been stored inside the whole time though. And I keep it waxed with turtle wax regularly.

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a 7.5 pro-plow,it too looks exactly the same as Mike's,and its 3 yrs old.The plow has about 30 hrs of use on it.It is rusting everywhere so bad ,I dont think ill ever buy another one.I an mot the original owner,so i dont think i am entitled to warranty.The truck was clean the owner took care of it,and gave me receipts,to the plow and every yr he had it serviced,only did his drive with it and 2 neighbors,all blacktop too.Mt 93 Fisher has never been repainted and it looks like new yet,a few chips here and there,but thats it.

10. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I didn't say this in my post, but if my Pro Plow looked like that, It ould be sitting on the sidewalk of my western dealer Monday morning, and something would be done about it before I left.

11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

we have both wetern and fisher plows and they both loose paint like nobodies business.
    The 2 yr warranty started last year, so if it is in fact just a year old you may be in luck, however from what I have seen it usually takes 3-5 yrs before you see the paint peel like that. My v plow is 3 yrs old, and the paint on the back of the plow is just starting to peel on the back of the ribs. The paint on the front is fine tho.
    I have posted on this in the past, and until they find away to bind the powder coat to the bare steel, they will continue with paint issues. The powder coat process is to save money at the plant not to give a better coating for us as end users.
    The v plow along with 2 other western plows that we have, will be taken apart, sandblasted and repainted this off season.
    Dino

12. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i also have the same plow it probably also about 3 years old looks same..... on the back of the plow much of the paint is peeling.....you will most likely get nothing out of warranty too many outside cintributing factors but a telephone call is cheap, call and politely ask about it sometimes they may have a deal where you can purchase another(moldboard) for cost or something

i keep mine clean the same as the truck but in my eyes this is just the way it's going to be....i may sand blast mine and repaint this summer

13. plowking35

from SE CT

Look at it this way
    Western/Fisher plows stay together but loose paint
    Meyer plows, paint is good but plows fall apart.
    I'll stay with the paint problems.
    Dino

14. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Dino,You get both if you bought a Boss!!

15. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

My cousins Boss plow has split at the vertical pivot pin,it is only 4 yrs old and its on a 1500 chevy,with no ballast.That plow cost almost 4500 installed,i dont think 4 yrs is acceptable for the conditions he plows in.I am not impressed with their durabilty,it is fast though.It takes so long to put on that he leaves it on most of the winter.

16. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

John,
    I stated in a previos thread that the first year I had my 10' Boss I ripped the center hinges off and bent the pin.We fixed it in house.So when I went to Hudson River this year he asked how my 10' plow was?I said why ? brought me around back to look at another one that was broke.I thought I was looking at mine,yes sir,ripped exactly the same way!
    Guess everybody has problems,it just depends on who can get you running again.

17. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

That's an ongoing problem with Boss plows. I had 4 of them split at the lowest point on the hinge this season. Grinded 'em out and rewelded it up - and all were fine. Don't know if/when it will happen again, but there are stories all over this forum about it happening.

I have 9 Boss plows myself, and love them. This is the only problem that has crept up. Don't know how they will address it, but I would guess that Boss is aware of it as I know they monitor this site.

Curious....
    Anybody having this hinge ripping problem with Fisher or Western Vee plows??

18. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

It's only on the new style Boss (1998-2001)

I noticed the weakness before we even plowed. The weak side is the drivers side (port side for you naval folks) We modified our 1st one during the middle of the 1st season. Subsequent ones have been modified prior to installation.

Our new ones are Poly and they are a little better right out of the box, but we modified them anyway.

19. plowking35

from SE CT

UHHHHH
    I'll take the bad paint paint over structual issues.
    Dino

20. CCLC

CCLC Member

As said before drop that plow off at your local dealer. I have some older plows that look similar to that but we hammer them to death. We've dented them with man hole lids, curbs, and even peeled a speed bump off. There is a problem with yours.