1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Paint and Snow Sticking question

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by watson524, Feb 24, 2010.

1. watson524

watson524 Junior Member

Hi all,

I have a Fisher 7.5' plow on a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500, no snow foil on the top or wings on the sides. Two questions that might be related:

1.) The yellow paint on all the edges (and spreading in) is chipping off showing exposed metal. At least the outside inch or so all the way around is gone and more is flaking. I found a can of Fisher paint my dad had but wasn't sure if you should sand blast and repaint all from scratch or what - I figure this is a summer project. I'm thinking I'll need more paint that what we currently have.
    1.) Particularly in snow that's even remotely wet (Northeast PA), I get snow sticking to the blade - wondering if that's being caused my degraded paint or can I take some ski wax or something and put it on the plow?

thanks!

2. leon

leon Senior Member

plow

ski wax, furniture polish, fluid film, car wax, WD40, cooking spray(the cheap stuff) etc.

you will need to coat the blade often if you plow alot.

you will need to sand to bare metal and clean it with alcohol to allow the touch up paint to adhere properly.

:waving:

lots of amusement rides with a snow plow on a garden tractor sprayed with wd 40 and having the pile tell me who's boss. and facing the hedge instead of the road

3. watson524

watson524 Junior Member

Good deal, thanks for the info!

4. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

i like to take the blade down to bare metal where needed then scuff up where aint needed with a red scotch pad. i use spray cans of the grey rustoleum professional primer, give everything 3 good light coats then use whatever paint is available to me at the time. if none is around i generally buy rustoleum professional. you can add hardner but i do not know what kind. a good coat of fluid film before a storm will keep the snow sliding right off, even the heavy wet crap:)