1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pain in the... plow wiring

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by JMHConstruction, Aug 7, 2016.

1. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

This is mainly inexperience, or stupidity, or both. I picked up a meyer ez classic plow and was looking to wire it up today. After looking at the wiring more closely I noticed it looks like it was a "diy" wiring job without factory harness. I can live with that, and I may even use new wires. My biggest complaint is that the guy had it all wired straight to the pump and lights without any plugs. I would have to keep the pump/light bar on the truck year round and I don't want to do that.

Can I just use a basic trailer type plug for the pump (I assume 4, maybe 5 plug) and another one for the lights (same assuming 5 plug)? Will this work or will I need to get a new wiring harness with the correct plugs, etc?

To be perfectly honest I really didn't look that hard at what was involved, just looked over a few things.

Thanks guys.

I should edit that I believe the lights are truck-lite according to the Smith Brothers website.

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Any type of plug will work. Just want it weather protection somewhat.

3. Randall Ave

I'm more awake now. What kind of controller do you have? Or is just the light harness home made? You could use Western 9 pin repair harness ends on both sides. You will need 6 pins for the lights.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Whatever u choose, doit right while its 90 as oppose to 20F and losing coin

FredG likes this.
  5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

More fun when it's -20 and 12" on the ground. Separates the men from the boys.....hehehe.

Either the western type plugs as said or any weather Pac type plug will do as long as there weather resistant, and you properly install them

rjigto4oje likes this.
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Trailer plugs will work.
    I tried them on my hiker,
    they were kind of a pain, Im going back to a factory plug.

FredG likes this.
  7. JMHConstruction

It has the older touch pad controller. The only problem with the controls (from what i see) was it just needed a plug in the front of the truck, so I could take off everything except the mount in the summer. The lights look to be a different story. I should have paid better attention when the guy was taking it off his truck. It looks like he was just cutting wires wherever convenient for him.

8. JMHConstruction

Out of curiosity, why are guys suggesting a western plug and not meyer?

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If it's what I think.it is, Meyer used 3 wires to goto the coils, and a light plug for each light, and then your main power and ground plug.
    2-3 plugs make it sooooo much easier

10. JMHConstruction

Ok thanks. So basically a plug is a plug right, no matter what brand? What I'll do is check out exactly how wires I have going to everything and get a plug (plow type plug so I know it's built to handle the weather) that can handle however many wires.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

That should work, you just need enough (pins) for the number of wires.

12. JMHConstruction

Thumbs Up thanks guys

13. Randall Ave

I thought about the Western repair ends because I figured they would be easy to purchase. Without seeing what you have, it may be the easiest to do. All comes down to how handy you are at this kinda stuff. For some reason I thought you traded up to a Fisher, mabey thinken of someone else. When you start putting things together, try to use heatshrink ends. Tape it up nice, you want everything water tight as possible.

FredG likes this.
  14. cbservicesllc

cbservicesllc PlowSite Fanatic

Amen there...

15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

If this is a cobbled together nest of wires/splices I'd just buy a new harness with the correct style plugs. I'd be the best way to ensure you're not plagued with wiring issue's when you should be oot pushing show and you can easily replace any component if/when they fail without having to change connectors.

FredG likes this.
  16. JMHConstruction

No still have the old meyer. I am looking in to getting a bigger and newer truck though, maybe you're thinking of that. Or maybe just someone else. Can't make myself spend 40-60k on a truck though. I will hook up this plow regardless, and use it as a back up if/when I get the new truck. If I spend the money on a truck I might as well add a plow to the loan and have them throw it on. I know the dodge dealer near by has a deal with boss at a discount, not sure about the other dealers though.

17. JMHConstruction

I might just end up doing that. I know that the wires going to the controller are right because it has the pug for the controller with no splices or anything. I'm not sure what the deal was. He just had it as a plow truck and left it on all summer. Not sure if he thought no extra plugs would be less troublesome or what.

18. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Not sure if anyone else said it or not but a trailer plug may not handle amperage of main power wires. Most trailer plugs are designed for 20-30 amps tops. Meyer pumps can draw over 100 amps.

FredG likes this.
  19. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Also should note most of the older ez classic headlight wiring was designed to tap into trucks headlight by cutting into factory harness. This can cause issues on newer vehicles where headlights are controlled by computer or body module.

FredG likes this.
  20. JMHConstruction

Truck is a 99 without any auto lights, if that matters, so I don't think it will be an issue. Also thanks for the tip about not enough amps for the trailer plug.