1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

paid weather service

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RhinoL&L, Aug 7, 2011.

1. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

I know there have been a few discussions in the past regarding paid weather forecasting/monitoring services, and whether or not they are worth it, but I havent had much luck in digging them up. Does anyone have any first hand experience with a paid service that provides detailed forecasting and monitoring? I am trying to find out if it would be worth it, as we are looking for a way to get more accurate information with some details that our regular local weather stations nor noaa provide. Also trying to get information in a more timely manner to allow more pre event planning and management during events. If anyone has used something like this, did you find it helpful, was it more accurate, did you feel it kept you better informed than local weather and noaa, etc? If so, are there any providers you would recommend?

2. Big Snow Balls

Big Snow Balls Member

I use accuweather snow warning services. I love it. they email, fax, and call me usually 24 hours before a snow or ice event. They also update info multiple times before and during a snow or ice event. I can call 24/7 any time and speek with a forcaster. I no longer watch news or wake up 3 or 4 times a night to see if its snowing. Its not cheep but well worth it.
  3. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

Does anyone else have any experience with other paid service providers? Good or bad, just trying to get some firsthand information and not the usual our service will solve all your problems type info I get from the providers themselves.

4. rochestersnowma

rochestersnowma Junior Member

FISHERBOY Senior Member

I use weatherworksinc.com. great people working there.
  6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

What exactly are you looking for?

"Official" documentation detailing and summarizing events in areas after the fact, or a service to warn you of impending weather? There are many times "impending" weather never happens.

I can't explain it, but we certainly observe a lot of people who rely on forecast's as if they are written in stone and must always ring true. Then they will complain, moan and get discombobulated when the forecast doesn't happen, or when a dusting turns into 4"-6".

It's a must to have the ability to completely switch gears and protocol based on current and changing conditions. All the planning in the world will not prevent this from happening to you. You must be able to roll with the punches and have the ability to execute plan "B", "C" and sometimes plan "D" at the drop of a hat.

Pre-event planning should already be established once you've created your response plans and routing, and management during events falls squarely on the shoulders of those running and executing operations. Understanding the client expectations and/or restrictions while being organized and detail oriented is the key.....no weather service can do this for you.
  7. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

when you have many commercial accounts and such on the line like myself you cant rely on others...
    Therefore we never have used a paid service.
    The regular sites like The news stations, Accuweather, And NOAA work for me! Because i compare all info....

If you want to be a successful plower you must be your own forecaster! Because in the end you're the one thats gonna get yelled at...NOT THE FORECASTER!
  8. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

I have 3 sites I use, 2 national sites, and a local site. If any of the the 3 are calling for snow we ready up and even then there is the odd time when you get out of bed at 3 am out of habit and are surprised by a 1 or 2 inches of snow. I well say this too, the local site (run by a hobbiest who set up his own weather station) last winter seemed to be the most accurate by far so I would suggest seeing if there is anyone in your area who is doing it as a hobby, because sometimes there is no replacement for just being at the site and seeing the conditions
  9. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I wanna be a Successful Plower......Are you looking for Help...I wanna Learn at the Knee of the Master....Thumbs Up
  10. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

They do the weather four times in 30 minutes over here because it changes that quick. Everyone's deal is different but in our area, one eye on the local guesscast and one eye outside is about the only way to go. Because we salt a bit, we're out pretty much every night anyways checking on things.

The worst feeling would be waking up at 7am and seeing the 1-2" that came outa nowhere on the ground - we had a few of those last year and we seen many people scrambling in the morning - it's just better to be out so when it happens you are three steps ahead.

I just don't see how a paid service could benifit me in our location, heck, you can't even count on radar images - you have to put your own eyes on it.
  11. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Until they come and spot check my lots I still wouldn't trust it. The only purpose I see is having the documented snowfall amounts. But that of course is available from noaa and keeping tabs on the local weathermans blogs
  12. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

I guess I was just looking for opinions or firsthand experiences with these. I haven't had any issues with using the resources I have in the past, just trying to find out what other options may be better or make things easier than what Ive been doing. I have always used a combination of noaa, one other national site, one guy who is a relatively close meteorologist that created his own site/forecasts/updates, and as most have said an eye out the window. I was also looking at a paid service for documentation, we havent had any clients question our actions or decisions for servicing sites, just want to make sure we have legitimate data and documentation to help back us up.

Looks like its best to just keep up the same method!