1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Paid too much or?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by CK82, Dec 6, 2005.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

I just had a new lift cylinder put on my western 8.6 pro plow and a packing kit put on, whatever that is, I know they had to put a seal on but not sure what the kit consists of besides that. I paid $235.00 to have this done said it took 2.5hrs. of labor, just thought i would see if anyone knew whether or not that sounds about right, also the cylinder had a few pits in it not sure it needed to be replaced what to you guys think?

:confused:
    Chris

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If it was working, then I wouldn't think it would have needed replaced. If it was leaking, then the packing nut needed replaced. But you can't really tell without seeing how bad and where it's pitted. The lift cylinder should have been around $80 to $90. The packing nut should have been with the new cylinder. That leaves $145. The seal was probably the one on the pump motor and cost about $10. Assuming about $6 for tax on the $100, that leaves $129 for 2 1/2 hrs or $51.60/hr.

Doesn't sound bad to me, assuming it actually needed the cylinder.

3. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

That makes since, sounds about right to me I guess, the pitting was a ring from beingthat exposed to the winter. It was a slight ring that was pitted, not too bad, it would have probably ruined the new seal so probably was a good idea.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

As a plower you need to learn to fix the little stuff your self .IMO
    Sure there is stuff that you need to take to the shop, but you need to learn to be self relent. When your out there in a storm at night and every thing starts to go south in a hand basket. You will need some basic knowledge of your plow and truck so you can fix it your self and save your self some Big bucks down the road:nod:

5. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Your completely right, but experience comes with time, I am somewhat mechanically inclined and have maintained my car, truck, and commercial mowers for a few years now, I'm sure I could have figured out with a little help how to fix my plow problem. I also am currently finishing up with college and have no time what so ever to fix my equipment. You are completely right though, especially with a lot of time on our hands over the winter, things should be fixed at our own shops.

Chris

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Chris, if you have ANY mechanical aptitude, you can do most repairs to your plow. There are diagrams in most catalogs showing exploded views, diagnostics, etc. Not much to worry about with most plows if you follow directions there and think. You really can't screw things up much. Try Central Parts Warehouse or Angelos.

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I understand, If you don't have the time you need to hire it out.

As you know plows are not rocket ships, if you do have a problem I'm sure someone on here will be willing to help you out.:waving:

8. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Sounds good. Thank You!

Chris