1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Paid in full for last season.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawn king, Jul 31, 2007.

1. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I got my check yesterday for the mach 17 th storm, nice hah!
  2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Man, that's rough! The worst I think I've had was about 3 months late for a few months of work. Glad you got it, though I suspect you're gonna advise 'em they're looking for someone new next season? On one hand, we miss the money when it's overdue, but the unexpected payday mid summer is probably kinda nice too!
  3. lawn king

There is plenty of cash flow for us during the summer, winter is always a struggle for landscapers. We need to be paid for plowing in 30 days or less. I paid for all that diesel fuel (3-17-07 storm) 3.5 months ago!!
  4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i still have one commercial and one residential due...nothing over $500 Orschlen's farm and home takes awhile!!
  5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

and just think. the money is worth less now because gas was cheaper then. got to love inflation. when you re bid them quote them based on the highest gas price of the year including the late fee you would charge if you thought they wouldnt care about the words LATE FEE.

people like that drive me nuts. if they are struggling for cash i understand. if they have it and im not paid its just plain disrespectful. i delt with it from tenants i rented to never mind plowing. got to the point i just started raising rents the amount of the late fee and told people if they pay it on the first of the month they get a "discount". that if they didnt pay by the second week i started the eviction process.
    i actually had one gentlemen tell me he had the rent on the tuesday before but he didnt have it now. i asked him if it ran off with the eviction notice i printed out in nice big letters and tact to his front door on the thursday before.
    i suggest you might try the same business philosophy with these people. just like i had bills to pay. you have bills to pay too.
  6. lawn king

Im looking to do my own plowing again. I thought being a sub would be a nice break from the stress of being the boss for a couple of months a year. After 2 seasons of getting paid in july this year and august last year, im ready for being the boss year round again.
  7. bribrius

nothing wrong with being a sub. long as you get paid. didnt they have a explanation? did you question them on it? im not sure how much they owed you but wether im owed two hundred bucks or two grand i get pissed off just on the principles of it. if they told you they didnt have the money and were broke i wouldnt work for them again anyway. people that dont have the money and are broke end up making you not have the money and broke which means you cant pay your bills so the people you owe money to cant pay there bills etc. etc. etc.
    viscious cycle.
    i seen a new housing complex i was bringing flooring into dive that way. everyone owed everyone and the guy in charge of building the development wasnt paying anyone, or the suppliers on time. or the bank. he owed the company i worked for the flooring dollars for six houses. bad news. i try not to get involved in those types of situations.
  8. lawn king

Season 1 shame on him. Season 2 shame on me for going back! I gave him the benefit of the doubt and an oportunity to restore his credibility with me. Nice guys finish last and they get paid last as well!
  9. bribrius

i like the isuzu. dont see many of them with a plow.
    the other day in the vote for best landscaping truck i hit other and wrote mitsubishi fsg 4x4. something about those kind of trucks i like. maybe its the visibility. they are tougher than some people give them credit for too.
  10. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

I have one that still owes me. $100 she sent it in late July last year to,. and it was twice what she owed me so I credited her account for last season. She is a loan officer at a bank you would think they would be right on top of it. I charge 2% over 30, 5 % over 60, and 10% over 90 days late fees.
  11. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a commerical, that's past due from feb. only for $800. Won't return calls so I don't know what to do next. :gunsfiring:
  12. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

Don't know about your area but it only cost $60 to take them to small claims court here. The court will add the cost to the total judgment. I have been plowing since 91. I took my first customer to court in 96 and have had one very year since then two one year. Have never lost a case yet. As long as you have your billing in order and all your paper work you should be good.
  13. bribrius

people owing money.

take this from someone with experience.

best bet is to send a nice letter asking if they forgotten.
    then go knock on the door and be polite.
    then send a letter saying you may be forced to drop their account for the next year and you like them as a customer.
    then send another note threatening legal action.
    then file in small claims court.

this is doing two things in your benefit. one is its creating a paper trail which only benefits your case in court showing the defendants refusal to pay.
    the other thing this is doing is giving the situation a chance to avoid court.

court isnt fun. first you have to file and pay the sixty bucks or so. then you have to pay a sherriff or town police department to deliver the paperwork to the defendent. so you are looking a a hundred or more dollars in filing and delivery. now you have to take the day off to go to court. usually if they dont show up i get there at nine. out by 10:30. judge rules in your favor. if they show up at the court house your going to be there a while. if they ask for mediation you may be there all day. time is money.

if the judge finds they owe you the money it doesnt mean they will pay it. if they dont pay it you have to FILE AGAIN and bring them back into court. usually on the third filing the judge may be annoyed enough to enforce a payment plan. keep in mind if they pay twenty dollars on the plan it shows good faith and then if they dont pay and dollars you HAVE TO FILE AGAIN.
    after the first court appearance i send a letter requesting the money and tell them ill put it on there credit report and refile if they dont comply. then i forward it to a collecting agency who does ad it to their credit report. i have six grand out still from a four years ago ill never see. when concerning court you have to realize your going further in the whole filing and do you really have the time to keep filing and wasting days if someone just doesnt pay.
    i know someone that tells people that owe him money that he will put a bullitt in their head. while i wouldnt suggest threatening or violence he does get paid without paying for filing in small claims court. he also has had charges placed on him for threatening too so the cost incurred may be equal.

by the way blazin im a loan officer though self employed at it. you would be happy to know i pay my bills. not because im a loan officer but because i was raised old school philosophy. being a loan officer means they know that you cant put it on there credit until you have a court order for payment. it also means they know that if they go past thirty days nothing really happens to them except a twenty dollar late fee which they obviously dont care. the cable bill and the car payment will get paid before you. one is a service they need now. they both can go on their credit report without a court judgement. even though its only a hundred bucks i would be annoyed and go talk to her. often if your upfront and honest about your concern and your intentions it does wonders in helping the person understand your point of view and that your as serious as the car payments when it comes to getting paid.. 10% late fee on a hundred bucks is only ten dollars. im sure she doesnt care. kindness and explanation of your situation may get you further.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  14. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

Jeez Lawn King sounds like your situation is like mine. The guy I sub for still hasn't paid me for plowing yet. I have been asking him for every week since April but still no money.
    So this season I am going get my own accounts and work for myself.