1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Paid 2x the bill

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by xtremesuperduty, Apr 16, 2007.

1. xtremesuperduty

xtremesuperduty Junior Member

One of my large commercial accounts cut me a check for 2 times the amount they were billed for last months snow removal. What would you do ? Tell them, or hang on to the money and see if they catch it. Also there is no guarantee I will have there business in the future so it may not be worth it to be the nice guy.
  2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

You gotta be kidding right? You return the money no questions asked.

We've accidentilly double billed a customer and didn't find out till we received the second check, the check was returned to that customer no question.
  3. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Why would you even ask a stupid question like that.....Thats all i got to say....
  4. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

You have to let them know..... Why are you asking this question??? If you keep it it is considered stealing. Do the right thing..
  5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I have had this happen more than a few times. I give them a option of crediting their account for future work or a refund. To do anything else would make you a crook...
  6. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

You shouldn't even be in business.
  7. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree honestly you shoudn't even be asking that! Give it back as an account credit, then you have a better chance at retaining the customer!
  8. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

By all means call them or send a credit ASAP. Honesty is the best policy.

I had a customer send me extra this year. I sent a nice note with my next billing about it. Then she replied that she sent it as a tip for me. Funny thing is she never wrote anything so I wasn't sure if it was tip, pre-pay or mistake. But I'm glad I did ask.. I'm sure she appreciated my honesty and would bet more tips will follow from her!
  9. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

This could be a test ( by the customer) to see if you are honest! Is the money worth it. How much are we talking? Is is over $10,000 then you could think about it, but only for a secound.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  10. MarksLand

MarksLand Junior Member

I believe it could be construed as larceny, if its over $250.00 its a felony. Do the right thing and either credit the customer or return the check. I would also make a phone call to make them aware of the mistake.
  11. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Man, you guys are harse! Yes, informing them of their error IS the rite thing to do. Will they have another invoice yet this year? Ask if they want you to just credit their acct.
    I was getting some fast food the other day(I know there's a BIG difference in the amount of $$ here but, the principle is the same) and the gal gave me back the wrong change(too much) so, I called the mngr. who happen to come by the window gave her back exactly what was given me and explained. Ya know she acted as if "I" was bothering her w/ my honesty. What a Bi*&*!! Anyhow honesty is the rite policy. You are the one who has to sleep with yourself at nite.
  12. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I had the exact same thing happen last month - first time ever. I had sent out an invoice in Jan. It didn't get paid so Feb's invoice was for the 2 months. Then in March, I get check for both invoices. In the meantime, we saned 2 times so I sent back a check last week for the difference in overpayment. It was $1,000. I guess I could have credited their account and sent them an invoice with a credit amount but this way I don't have it hanging over my head. Next year I would like to retain them as a customer because we did a good job, not because I owe them $1,000. Have no doubt, they will find out down the road that you stiffed them. This way I don't have it hanging over my head.
  13. Silentroo

Silentroo Senior Member

Most large commercial accounts will aduit their books at least every 6 months. That means they match EVERY check to an Invoice.... No invoice they know they overpaid. I have a cousin who goes from company to company doing these aduits. He get's between 5-10% of everything he finds. Made well into the 6 figures last year...

Are you willing to lose them over what ever you billed. Because they WILL find it. They may make the assumption you cashing it was a honest mistake....
  14. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Your in College so you should understand the

following word....

Let that word be your guide in this situation, but then again people like yourself help grow the Business of the rest of us who try to operate with some integrity.
  15. snow problem

snow problem Senior Member

Of course you have to give the money back. If they forgot to pay you or payed you half how would you feel, unless your moving to Flordia and this is your last year of plowing.