1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Paging FlyKelley....and other Chevy/GMC guys

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bad Luck, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Being that you build these things you may know this, everytime I start my truck I get a message on my DIC that says "Service Tire Monitor". Now, I had new tires put on about a month ago but this message starting coming on about two months ago and I can bypass the message by simply hitting a key on my steering wheel. The dealer is telling me that there are sensors in the GM valve stems that monitor tire pressure and whoever put the tires on put new, non-GM valve stems in and that is why the message is coming on. The GM valve stems with the sensors in them run $98.00 EACH!!!

I find this hard to believe as I have numerous friends who have two sets of wheels and tires and whenever the aftermarket wheels are on for the summer they do not have this problem.

What do you think?

Anyone elese have this problem??

2. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

i would try reseting everything first, unhook the battery pump the brakes a few times, then hook it back up, if it comes on again, then you probably have something to worry about. Sensors are no go IMO, When i was working at a tire shop we had a guy break all 4 becuase he didnt now they were there. And i recall they are not cheap/.
  3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Bad Luck
    I will ask my guys out back in Heavy Repair and post later tonight. The GM valve stems sounds kind of funny, but I will ask for you. As a mater of fact I know the guy who runs the tire room I will go track him down. What kind of truck is it? 1/2 ton ? 4x4? they will ask me that. Also what year is the truck?

Regards Mike
  4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

to reset the tire press system.

step 1 : set parking brake with key on engine off.

step 2 : flash head lights on and off till horn beeps.

step 3 : start at left frt tire and add or remove air till horn beeps.

step 4 : right frt next. then right rear. then left rear.

step 5: set air pressures to door spec.

step 6 : release ebrake and start vehicle and check system.

also some aftermarket so called replacement sensors dont work with all gm systems.

i know as i have run in to these every day at work.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  5. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Does every trim package have this? or just the LT packages? i dont think i have it on my LS:confused:
  6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Bad Luck
    Just talked to my guy in the tire room, and you were given the correct info from the dealer. Check your PMs

Regards Mike
  7. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Thanks guys. Just getting back from a trip to RI for the weekend. Mike, will do.

8. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Question, how do you solve this if you move to a larger tire that requires more air?? I know for a fact guys do it all the time. I have Cooper ATR's and I'm running 52 PSI right now.
  9. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

? havent had that yet. but i would set the air to what you want for the next to last step . if i recall thay go off diffrence of air pressure from all 4 by 3 psi or more. so if 3 of 4 have 35 and other is 31 it will kick light.
  10. oakvillerex

oakvillerex Member

those systems usually go by a reference pressure. like was said if one tire is lower or higher by 4-5 PSI the light will come on. on your cooper tires if all four are at 52 PSI than the computer shouldn't see a problem and turn the light on, some mopar systems though will actually tell you what the pressure in each tire is, but i still don't believe they will turn the light on until there is a difference in tire pressures