1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Padlock that won't freeze

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by watatrp, Feb 3, 2013.

1. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

Does anyone have any luck with a padlock that won't freeze up? I use a cable and lock to secure my snow blower at night. I put a zip lock bag over it to try to keep the moisture out. Sprayed oil in the keyhole but it still manages to freeze at times. My lock does have a plastic cover and cap for the key slot.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Get a lighter and warm the lock up first.
  3. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I use two master locks on my plow. Spray fluid film inside wherever I can. I haven't had any freezing

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

fluid film!!!!!
  5. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

We have locks on some gates at properties, keep cans of de-icier in the trucks.. Use it on hydro levers on our bucket truck as well
  6. rebelplow

rebelplow Senior Member

I actually used Fluid Film this year on my work trailer padlock. I would NOT use it again for this purpose. Every day the key will go about 3/4 of the way in and stop. I have to give it a hit to pop it in the rest of the way. The lock does open and close perfectly once the key is in. BUT.... fluid film does work excellent on the hinges and latches on the doors. They have never operated so smoothly. Just my opinion.
  7. just plow it

just plow it Senior Member

I second the cans of de-icier. I use it on pad locks all the time.
  8. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Note the trend. I clean out the locks on occasion with brake cleaner, blow it out with a blow gun the saturate it with Fluid Film. runt eh key in and out and ket it in all the tumblers.
  9. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

10. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Yet another good use for Fluid Film!
  11. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Had the same problem and fluid film worked for me. The trick is to spray it, put key in and out, re-spray, re- key it. You need to get it up in the tumblers. I think that's what someone else was trying to explain in another post.
  12. TLK380

TLK380 Member

I second GV.
    If the lock has plastic protective cover I warm up the key really good and it works fine.
  13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I've tried several things that displaces water/seals to prevent them freezing with mixed results (silicone, WD-40, tire tubes zip tied around the lock).
    One night I needed to un-hook a trailer with a padlock on the coupler to pull a buddy out of a ditch, I didn't have anything handy and ended up just pissing on the lock to thaw it. Since then whiz has been my go-to solution, just make sure you have a pair of gloves and the key for the lock is on it's own key ring.
  14. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

And it can be as effective at deterring thieves as the lock itself. :D

Just don't get the . . . applicator too close to the cold metal of the lock, or you could end up like that kid Flick in A Christmas Story. :laughing:

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I deal with alot of locks and a pocket torch is a great tool
    we put a piece of conveyor belt folded in half and bolted they the chain over the lock It prevents the wind from blowing directly on the lock and keeps the water from running in the lock or freezing on the top. When I open the gates I usually take the lock with me and toss it up on the vent while I plow. Then it dries out any moisture that might have gotten inside. there are these new locks the towers are using that won't let you take your key out until its locked. Makes people make sure they relock the site.
  16. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Yeah there is a hazard to the applicator involved, but by standing back a few feet the hazard goes away plus you don't have any over-spray issues.Thumbs Up
  17. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

Thanks for all the ideas. I've tried fluid film in the past but guess I just need to get in the habit of using it more often. Weather has been so up and down for me too. Rain and 60 degrees then 48 hours later snow and 4 degrees. I think that I froze up everything that could freeze up.
  18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Put it in some diesel fuel and leave it there for an hour. Might not smell the best but works everytime.