1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Packing Nut Problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by b2driver, Oct 21, 2004.

1. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

I need to loosen the packing nut on my plow. It's a used Fisher, and I'm not too sure what model. Anyway, it's an electric pak operated model, not belt driven. The plow won't drop down, and it struggles to go up. So I figured the packing nut was too tight. Here's the problem. My 15" adjustable wrench won't fit it, I tried a pipe wrench, but that doesn't fit too well between the pump and cylinder. What are my options? Also, I guess I'm going to have to put a cheater bar on whatever I use, because it is so tight I can't get it to budge.

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I almost always end up using heat on the packing nut to get them off on the older ones,your gonna need a new packing kit after this and it will leave kind of a mess to clean up,i also use a pipe wrench,you can get away with a smaller one if you heat it up.