1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Packing nut broken

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Lafong, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Lafong

Lafong Junior Member
    from midwest

The hex head broke on the ram packing nut on my Western Isarmatic (one piece aluminum housing). The base is not broken, it still holds in the packing rings, but leaks. Anyone solved this problem? Previous owner turned it all the way down, no threads showing. I tried chisel and punch but cheap pot metal breaks off. If I break out the rest of the nut top, will the ram extract? Or is there a keeper on the bottom of the ram? Thanks for any help.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Theres only 3 ways to solve this problem that i know of and 2 of them arent much fun.

1, Keep working with the chisel and punch and remove all of the packing nut, inclucing the threads of the packing nut that are down in the barrel. (this will take some time but you only need to replace the nut and packing as long as you didnt damage the threads of the barrel)

2, Pull the ram out as far as you can and cut it off close to the packing nut, drive it back down into the barrel and then using a small hack saw make 2 cuts across the packing nut at opposite sides and then knock them out with a hammer and punch. Threads usually survive this method. (Faster than 1 but you now need a new rod also)

3, Just buy a new cylinder. (Not as entertaining as 1 or 2 but more expensive)

3. Lafong

Lafong Junior Member
    from midwest

The barrel is one piece with the housing, can't replace.