1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Packet replacements for Cylinders

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by R-Team Ent., Dec 15, 2005.

1. R-Team Ent.

R-Team Ent. Junior Member

:waving: Hi everyone, new member here. Great site lots of good info! Have a question has anyone replaced their packets on Meyer Angle Cylinders? If so do you have any instructions or tips?

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You mean seals / packing?

3. R-Team Ent.

Yep. I received the seals yesterday and proceeded to remove the angle cylinders. I then took the packing nut off which suprisingly came off easily. However.:realmad: ..hate that word, when I put the new seals on the cylinder the packing nut would not grab and tighten on. Spent all morning trying to pack them down but did not succeed. Finally I damaged the threads on the nut and have had to order a new one. Is there something I'm missing? :dizzy:

4. tessdad

tessdad Member
    from S.E. MA

Sometimes a kit has more parts in it than you need for your application. The kits might fit many models, not just yours, so... you need to be sure your only putting back in, what came out. If you put an extra packing ring (or two), it just won't work. I don't know that you did that, it's just my best guess from here.
    When you are sure that you have the right parts, push each seal down separately, one at a time. Look at the empty cavity before putting in a part, as you put in the seals, be sure they are bottoming out. Often a properly sized section of pipe, with a clean, smooth end, long enough to extend beyond the rod so it can be hit with a hammer, is helpful to pack the packing down.

5. R-Team Ent.

You know when I removed 8 o rings from there they where either worn or broken so I "assumed" that since I got 8 with my new kit that it would replace all 8. When I try to put 7 or less it works out ok would that be a problem?:confused:

6. tessdad

tessdad Member
    from S.E. MA

If the nut does not bottom out, it still has room to push against the packing you should be fine. Try it, check for leaks, run it awhile, check again.

7. R-Team Ent.

All set. I was able to replace all 8 rings on one side but on the other it only contained 6 so I replaced all 6. Tried it out a couple of times which it was kind of rough at first. Once I all the air came out and hydralic level was checked it appears to operate ok. Will keep an eye for leaks. Thanks for your help!:)

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Was your chrome ram parts pitted very bad? If I can get the hose off of one and the quick connect off the other I am going to do mine soon. A little flame persuasion should do the trick.

9. R-Team Ent.

They weren't too bad, they had some marks but not bad enought to go out and buy new ones. When you do remove the rams don't be alarmed by they half keys located at the bottom of the ram. They stay in place once you insert the ram into the smaller section. Good luck:blush2: