1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pached Plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by njsnowremoval, Jan 25, 2011.

1. njsnowremoval

njsnowremoval Senior Member

HEy guys im looking at a truck, it has a plow on it and the plow has a "patch welded into it. Im wondering if this is something of concern? thanks
  2. njsnowremoval

Heres a pic of the plow. THe truck has zero rust the only rust is what you see in the picture

plow pach.jpg
  3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Patch work is fairly common but the area were that is located I would inspect very well. Behind that is where the A-Frame mounts to the blade so it needs to be strong. Be sure it wasnt just a hack job.
  4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

It's not the end of the world if it's done right. The bad part is it kind of shows how the plow lived it's life to date. It probably hasn't been properly maintained. The good part is it's a fisher plow, and parts are readily available for them, even the older ones.
  5. njsnowremoval

I looked at this truck over the summer and it had no plow on it, he added it this year. I like the truck but the plow is pushing me away from it.
  6. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

it looks like there is no rust just because it was recently painted. I'm guessing the rust will come through again soon.
  7. njsnowremoval

Im thinking of telling the guy to keep the plow and leave the truck side and nock some $$$ off. them find a used fisher.
  8. njsnowremoval

Does any one know if the fisher "Xblade" i think it is, the ss one would work with that type of mount?
  9. Bigrd1

Bigrd1 Senior Member

I'm not sure if a minute mount 2 plow will fit a minute mount frame but I think it will. But if your getting a newer blade your going to have to change out the wiring harness to a new 3 plug iso module type. If you could I would just tell him to keep the plow and leave the frame on the truck. Just my opinion
  10. loudredram

loudredram Member

is that a 7.5 or an 8?
  11. njsnowremoval

Acording tpo the listing its an 8
  12. loudcav

loudcav Member
    from ohio

Id tell him to keep the entire plow setup whoever painted that plow did a piss poor job as in the pics you can see the rust behind it
  13. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

not that it makes much diffrence. but shows the corners cut in the plow refurb job with a meyers wear edge plane as day on the plow left corner. :laughing:

and mm1 and mm2 same truck side setup per vehicle. but diffrent plugs from mm1 2 plug on most to mm2 3 plug system.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  14. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Although its not perfect that plow will push snow as long as its intact structurally. Depending on price it might not be a bad buy.
  15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

FWIW that is the first place to break through from rust on a Fisher blade and the MM1 era that that is from (same as mine) it's not uncommon. Mine is patched there too (but rusted much worse along the top of the plow). Nothing wrong with a patch on the skin, and nothing wrong with a MM1 or the SEHP powering it- there are as many of those still out there as there are newer Fisher plows.
    You want to check the A frame hinge behind there because they are commonly cracked at the weld- it has nothing to do with the patch, just a fact of the design of that era plow. Forget the paint job- easy to repaint. Check out the ribs of the blade and the headgear for evidence it was or is badly rusted. Flaked metal or layered metal type of stuff. That's what you want to stay away from as it has weakened the structure of the plow- the skin is nothing.