1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pa trailer gvw question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by rocksbite, Mar 28, 2013.

1. rocksbite

rocksbite Member

Sorry if I'm in the wrong section.

I'm picking up a free 5th wheel camper trailer. I plan on ripping it down and making an open trailer. I have a pair of the heavey house trailer axles to put under it. I'm going to add leaf spring to the leaf packs and redo most of the frame. My question is. How can I tell what the trailer can now carry. I'm in pa and ill be gettting a new title for it

2. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

The GVRW will go by the axle rating. You will need written proof of that when you go to the notary to get the reconstructed title.

3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

You will also need to find an enhanced inspection station to get it inspected since pa considers it a custom trailer. Be ready to make some phone calls, there aren't many around. Good luck!

4. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

It will carry a lot less than the axles. Camper frames are notoriously weak. Not a good choice at all.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Be cheaper to start from scratch and use nothing but the axles. The 5th wheel depends on the structure of the trailer for a lot of its strength. No matter how many springs or the weight rating of the axles the frame will be weak.

Your heavy house trailer axles, are the backing plates welded to the frame and have single leaf springs? If so you will have issues when it comes to brake parts.

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

According to what?

If getting a new title won't it be whatever you state it to be?

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Two ways; one there should be a manufacturer's plate on the trailer listing Gross vehicle weight plus front and rear GAW. Many manufacturers now also list net capacity. The weight the trailer can actually carry simple formula; GVWR -tare weight = gross load capacity.The average 3500lbs trailer has a net load capacity of 2900lbs.

the other is axle tags. the axles should have tags on them. Of course they use the same tubes and add diferant brakes to vary between 5K though 7K so you need to research a little further.

If the tubes measure 2 3/8" they are 3500 lbs axles if they are 3" they could be 5,6 or 7K

More than one person has made the mistake of buying a 10K trailer thinking they can load 10K on it. Leads to problems at the weigh station.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  8. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

No. That is why you need proof of the axle rating. That will be sent into the state along with the in enhanced inspection report and application for reconstructed title. At least that is how it works in Pennsylvania

9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

But axle rating don't mean squat.

10. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

^^^^^this is exactly what I ran into with one of our old trailers. Talk about a pain in the neck.

11. rocksbite

rocksbite Member

Thanks a bunch. There is an inspection station near me that will do enhanced so that isnt a problem. I'm thinking it will be mostly a car and junk hauled. Atvs, some scrap runs. We do have. Kabota back hoe that i wouldnt mind towing sometimes.