1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

PA State police hourly bidding

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by rforsha, Nov 14, 2009.

1. rforsha

rforsha Junior Member

We got invited to bid a PA state police barracks. We were asked to bid an hourly cost for salting, plowing and sidewalks. Cost for salt per ton.

We were not asked how long it would take to plow or what size vehicle and plow.. A dump with a 10' plow is faster than a blazer and a 7' plow.
    The bid sheet appeared to suggest the lowest cost per hour wins the bid. So a dump at $50.00 and a blazer could bid $40.00 per hour and win. But it could take him two hours and cost more than a dump at one hour.
    The hourly cost did not include driving to or from the property. Only the time on site counts towards the hourly cost. Then I asked to visit the property to bid. He told me that wasn't possible. So I went alone and hoped I wouldn't be stopped. He had called about 1 PM for us to look at it, then he called back about two hours later and told me the bid had to be in within an hour.
    I had heard last season that the company plowing and salting were required to get weighted before and after plowing to measure salt amounts. That the amounts used had to be verified.
    How can you bid a job with these requirements and make any money???
  2. big acres

big acres Senior Member

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and just say you won't get it no matter what.

Nobody gives you a 3 hour window to bid unless they just need another bid to make it look legit. I have to believe that somebody's buddy will be getting this.

At least the told you the salt would be weighed. If I were a manager, I would mention that after the contract is signed.
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

If it helps PM me and I can tell you all about those contracts. We've done a State Facility for years.