1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pa/Nj plowing....

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by bow2no1, Jan 8, 2015.

1. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

OK, to start off I'm from Maine.
    Maybe some of the older members recognize my name? I haven't been active in a while.

I moved to Philly last year. To make a long story short. I work for a dump truck company that plows and salts in Nj and pa.

They have these small spreaders/sanders that just attach to the back of the truck and you have to tilt the body up to get the salt in to it. (Good way to hit a sign or over pass). My 2nd issue is no one has any wings on the trucks. We plow a staggered pattern.

Maybe I'm missing something? Some of this seems numb to me. I always pretty much get told, I'm from Maine and don't understand.
  2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Real simple...

In Nj everything is purposefully made inefficient so it costs the state more money, making more for the gc working for the state. If youre doing public roads, its as simple as that...
  3. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

The salter is made to turn a dump truck in to a salter. I used one for years, they work great. As long as you are not being dumb and driving around with the box all the way up it is not a problem. You just lift the box to move the salt to the back and drop the box back down. With this system the truck is a dump truck also for moving snow. A flap will cover the auger and now you use it as a dump truck.
    As for not having wings - that is dumb. Some people have a hard time running all that stuff but it is not that hard and you clear a much larger path.
  4. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

Nah, the spreaders are junk, they just throw salt wildly from the drivers side.

I'm use to the big hoppers that you put inside the body. They have a conveyor that brings the salt/ sand to the back.
    And they have flaps to adjust how far the salt gets casted out from the middle of the truck.
    That way the salt is more in the road then off it.

Driving around with the body up, well when your in a group, you don't have many options. Just make sure the road in front of you is clear. I do stop on off/on ramps when I can to adjust the load.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Right there is your first mistake.
  6. kimber750

Shouldn't be leaving the bed up, just raise to move material back and put back down. That way this won't happen.

7. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

No auger and spinner speed control?
  8. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

We don't have the option. Dot is constantly pushing us. Also if I try to become disorderly and stop myself. I break formation.

I'm with ya, I agree. It shouldn't be allowed or encouraged.
  9. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

Yes, but there is no guards to contain how far the material is casted. The spinner is on the right hand side. So if your plowing the right hand lane. The salt is pretty much wasted going off the road.
  10. kimber750

Most UTG spreaders I have seen allow you to move the spinner to adjust spread pattern. Ours is all the way to the left and we can pattern completely behind the truck without guards.
  11. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

Not ours or most that I see for that matter. Tthey are fixed mounted to the drivers side. We can only adjust spinner and auger speed.
  12. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

Yes, but it still throws the salt to the drivers side.
  13. LON

LON Senior Member

So is it on the right or the left. You have said both.
    In PA Penn State has been the ones doing some research on granular "bounce". Studies I have knowledge of shows that dropping the sand/salt in the middle of the highway and letting traffic "scatter" it is more efficient use of the material and not so much is needed or used.
    As for under tailgate spreader's PA State & Municipalities/Townships are a HUGE buyer of them. Load them up once per route and save on trips back to re-fill.
  14. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Once you get used to the tail gate spreader you will never want a hopper spreader again. You should have controls in the cab to control the amount of material ( auger speed) that you put down, and how far it gets spread ( spinner or lane- depending on the setup). You should be able to adjust the spinner left and right on the hanger. If you cant some bone head welded it fast. The further to the left you slide the spinner the further to the left it will throw the material, and vise versa to the right. Once you get that set you adjust your material by turning the spinner up or down.
    I know PENN-DOT wants the material dropped in the center of the road and let traffic move it around.

As far as wings, it's not cost effective for the subcontractors to use them, added stress and wear on the truck, plus more to repair when it gets damaged, trust me they are constantly working on and repairing them. Once Penn-dot puts them on, that truck is pretty much only for plowing. Also most shops don't have doors wide enough to get a truck with a wing plow inside when it breaks down.