1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

P0700- Anyone have this before?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by turbo5560, Feb 24, 2011.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

This morning i shifted from reverse to drive- clunk, check engine light went on and the little line gear indicator on the dash went out. Turned the truck off and on twice and the indicator light came back on. Ran the truck for 4 hours or so and the light went off. Had the code ran this morning when the garage opened up and they said it was P0700. From what i can see it's something to do with a sensor. Anyone have this problem before and what it could be? Should i just drive it until it comes on again, if it does?

2. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

try posting in the dodge section!

3. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

nah, chevy would be best... it was an 08 chevy 3500 dump

4. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

From what I could find a P0700 means that there's an error in the TCM with its own code that needs to be read (not accessible through OBDII apparently).

5. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

its just strange that it came on and then turned off and hasn't came back on since.

6. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Your best bet would be to see how much the dealer would charge you to hook up to the computer. Maybe someone with a fast-trak scanner or a genesis sytem could retrieve the rest of the info for you. The PO700 is a general transmission fault code,Transmission Control System Malfunction to be exact. Sometimes this means that the TCM has gone bad. But without a full scan it really is hit or miss.

7. tac48

tac48 Member

Your truck must have diesel with allison trans. P0700 sets in the engine control module and turns on the check engine light to let the driver know that there is codes set in the trans control module. It is basically a code saying" hey, the trans control module has codes in it"
    Might not be a bad idea to have scanned again to see what codes are set in the trans control module. If it is not acting up anymore, then it is harder to determine what was going on. There should be freeze frame data stored which may aid in diagnosis. In any event, you need to know what code or codes are set in the tcm before going any further.

8. Ozark Hillbilly

Ozark Hillbilly Member
    from Misery

This is great info but since the simplest answer is usually the right answer then I think it means it will cost 700 to fix and you will be PO'd.Thumbs Up

9. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

it only has 16,000 mi on it, should be covered under the 5yr/ 100,000 warranty.

10. tac48

tac48 Member

Beware, the 5yr/100k usually will not cover an external wiring problems and other things one would think should be covered. Also, the dealer will likely make you sign for diagnosis of the concern. If they can't duplicate the concern, you will likely be out some money for them to look at it and tell you they can't duplicate it. I could probably do a quick scan and check for you sometime if it acts up again.