1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

P0449 code

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 06Sierra, Jan 9, 2010.

1. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I have an 05 Sierra 1500 CC 5.3L. Last night I went for a ride to check out the new HID high beams I put in and the check engine light was on. A co worker had one of our supervisors scanners so I went over this morning and hooked it up. It showed one stored code and one pending. Both were the same P0449 generic evap emission control. I think that is one that could be any number of things. It's been over a week since I have put gas in but I checked the gas cap anyways. I reset it and the light is off for now. What else could it be?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Very very common issue and gets addressed often.

It needs the vent solenoid replaced and the charcoal canister blown out with a little compressed air to solve the issue from happening again, which is the location of the valve allows dust and dirt to enter the EVAP system thus it damages the valve and plugs the charcoal canister.

Head over to your local dealer and pick up ACdelco part # 214-2082. Should be around $100 or slightly less This will give you the necessary parts to do the repair as well as the preventative measure to reduce it from happening again. You'll also need 8 ft of 5/8" heater hose and a few hose clamps to relocate the vent solenoids inlet location.

3. 06Sierra

from Maine

Thanks BB. Can this be done under the truck? Where do you relocate the inlet to?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure it's all done under the truck. Just need a couple jack stands and a floor jack to give yourself some working space. The vent valve inlet gets routed forward to above the transmission so it has less of a tendency to pick up road grime. That's what you use the 8 ft of heater hose for. Basically routing up to where there's "clean air". The kit should include instructions but if it doesn't give me a shout and I can email them to you. Pretty sure I have a digital copy of them.

Not a hard job at all. Should take you less than an hour for your first one.

5. 06Sierra

from Maine

Thanks a bunch. Not sure when I'll get a chance to get to it. I don't have a garage so I have to go to a friends. I should have a good stretch of day shifts coming up so I should be able to get to it then. I have some other stuff to check out on the truck too. Got some noise in the front end when turning in 4x4 and the rear wheels lock up every once in a while when backing up in my driveway. This morning it kind of felt like the brakes were hanging up some, slowed more than normal when I let of the gas. It was fine this afternoon on the way to work. Got to change the oil and rotate the tires on my wife's Yukon too. It's never ending, really sucks not having a garage!!

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The rear brake issue is likely the E-brake hanging up. Not uncommon on the 1500's with some age on them in the winter months so be sure to check that out first.

7. 06Sierra

from Maine

Even though I never use the E brake?? Although, is that the cable that runs along the frame rail that ice chunks always get hung up on? I'm guessing it may just need to be adjusted.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep that would be the one.

May also be the pads hung up in the caliper brackets which is also a common issue in the rust belt.

9. 06Sierra

from Maine

It has drums in the rear. My wife's Yukon has the ****** rear disk set up.

10. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 Senior Member

where are the vent soloniod and charcol canister located?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  11. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Yea Mike get it straight! :mechanic:

In 05 GM went back to drums on those as they were having ALOT of probs with the ebrakes and rear discs.

Check the ebrake along with the adjusters in there. Adjust as needed.

Those rear discs like on the HDs arent bad. You just need to know the trick to keeping them free...trust me its involved and takes time but its sweet when its done. Ive towed at least 2 bobcats this past summer that had the trailer brakes go out. All that plus maybe 2K or 3K in bed and truck stopped it...but they was a smokin! LOL.